Frozen and Sparlock the warrior wizard

by NewYork44M 20 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Given that magic is from Satan, this is what we learned from the horrible story about the little boy and Sparlock the warrior wizard. I am curious to know if witness kids are allowed to see the movie Frozen. I am not a big Disney fan, but this movie was wonderful.

By implying that magic is from Satan and that Jehovah hates magic implies that magic is real. One of the things I learned as part of learning TTATT is that magic is not real. That was quite a revelation for me.

But do witnesses believe that the little girl from Frozen is from Satan when she has the ability to turn things frozen? There was some evil imagery in this movie that should probably create problems for the consciences of those trained by Sparlock the warrior wizard.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I know some JW's who will not watch most Disney animated films because they almost all 'have magic' in them.

• Listener
    Listener

The Sparlock video has it's own magic happening in it. The plane which has a man flying it lands to earth as a toy.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Based on my understanding:

It depends on the degree of magic involved. For Harry Potter, the general view is that magic not only forms the whole theme of the movie, but the magic involved is "dark magic," thus making it unsuitable

On the other hand, Disney movies are children-friendly & cater to almost everyone. There is more emphasis on family values rather than magic. Of course, magic is featured from time to time, but it's presented in such a light-hearted way that it becomes sort of acceptable as "friendly magic"

I always believed in being balanced & rational. Hey, if you want to take things to the extreme, even Mary Poppins is a magic film & thus Christians should not watch it!

Anyway, never met anyone with such a restrictive conscience that they avoid Disney movies!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I was "persuaded" to get rid of Disney's Ariel when I was studying being indoctrinated as it had a demon in it but then years later when Pirates Of The Caribbean came out we all watched it.

Lord Of The Rings was OK but Harry Potter not.

It all seems to depend on what the strongest personality in the hall allows but even then some watched "verboten" films in secret.

• KateWild
    KateWild

WT insist that they do not ban books, movies, or music on jw.org. http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/do-jehovahs-witnesses-ban-certain-entertainment/

We all know that's a lie. You are not allowed to do anything that will stumble your brother. Unless of course you want to reinstate a paedophile and make him an elder.

It's a cult that want to control JWs even what they watch in the movies.

Kate xx

• Heaven
    Heaven

You should be studying or doing Field Serve-Us and not spending your time watching movies ... unless Botchtower produced it.

I remember when the Harry Potter movies came out my Dad made some comment about it. I said "Dad it's a movie. It isn't real."

• stillin
    stillin

I saw Frozen recently and it was pretty good. Kid's stuff but lots of cute little lines in the dialog. I am pretty sure that because magic is featured, it will not make it's' way into many Witness homes.

funny how Science Fiction is so much more tolerated.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ah yes...the old problem for witnesses...magic and fantasy vs biblical condemnation of sorcery etc...

Its all make believe people.....relax.....

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

My JW daughter, very much indoctrinated, owns a copy and brings it over and watches with my 2-year old grandson and my [indoctrinated] wife and toddler daughter.

Yet, if I initiate watching something that has a hint of supernatural my wife puts on the sister Christian JW face and leaves the room. Recently I decided to check out "Believe" on Netflix, my wife wouldn't stay in the room because it looked demonic. I tried to tell her it didn't have anything to do with spiritism, she said she still wouldn't feel comfortable watching it.

I was tempted to make a point about her reasoning when she watched and even suggested I make an illegal copy of the movie Frozen ... but decided it was pointless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit