Frozen and Sparlock the warrior wizard

by NewYork44M 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

As stillin sez - sci-fi is A-OK but "magic" is not.

Always have thought it amazing that servants of the kingdumb find it perfectly acceptable to attend Doctor Who movie openings in full costume, and back in the day we had an elder take all the young ones to the midnite openings of Star Wars movies and he was the one brandishing the light saber in the front row of the theatre.

How is a Tardis flying through time not "magical"? How is most anything in SW not "magical"?

It's the usual wts/jdub dubble standard.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, isn't "using the force"a form of dark magic?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It seems that the Sparlock video strikes a very hard line against magic. It did not seem to have room for negotiation (i.e. degrees of magic).

I feel sorry for the poor witness kid who is allowed to see Frozen and can't enjoy it because he or she feel so guilty for making Jehovah sad.

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

i have an aunt that is in her 50s that can only watch rated g movies how sad is that.i hope this leads to a new policy that witnesses can't watch any type of movie that involves magic,sfi-fi,only any thing that isnt a documentry maybe by tightening the controls further on the rank and file this will cause others to wake up

By the way my elder father always owned and watched rated r movies but they draw the line at harry potter lol

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

My sister won't watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks (witch) but loves Mary Poppins (magic-practising woman who is never actually named a witch).

She also won't watch Lord of the Rings (wizards and demon-like orcs) but let her daughter both read and watch the Hobbit. From the same writer. Based in the same universe. With the same characters.

I mentioned both of these apparent contradictions but the dissonance created a little nuclear explosion, so I desisted.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I wonder if any JW's threw their kids Sparlock video away becasue it contained images of a Warrior Wizard.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It is never too soon to teach kids the concept of cognitive dissonance. Enjoying a movie about magic and making Jehovah sad are two strong emotions.

• SAHS
    SAHS

When you really think of it, technically Disney’s Mickey Mouse would also be demonic by definition. Mickey is a cartoon of a TALKING mouse. (Real mice can’t actually talk according to the normal rules of nature, remember?) And what did the snake supposedly do in the Garden of Eden? It TALKED to Eve. And who was behind the snake, controlling it? Ssssatan! . . . . So, by the WTS’ (super-idiotic) reasoning, then technically poor little Mickey would also be villafied on the old “demonic” list.

The WTS’ meticulous obsession with “Pagan origins” this, “worldly” that, and “demonic” the other thing really reminds me of when Jesus mentioned about the Pharisees ‘straining out the gnat but gulping down the camel.’ (Matthew 23:24) And of course Jesus himself was supposed to have basically gone on a magic spree that would put Chris Angel to shame.

Actually, I saw every single episode of the X-Files, and I’m proud of it! (But not my folks.)

• losingit
    losingit

My girls' father wouldn't let them watch Frozen or take them to see the movie bc it had magic. Meanwhile he's out going to stripclubs. Hypocrite! I didn't even know about the movie until very recently. When my oldest told me she wanted to see it and the reasons why she couldn't I told her that I'd get it for her on dvd once I had some extra cash. It's a super cute movie with great lyrics. Iespeciallyliked the "Fixer Upper" song with the rock trolls. And Olaf's ode to summer LOL!!

Anyways, it's not magic- - she was BORN with those powers! She's a mutant :-P :-P :-D :-D :-D

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

losingit: My girls' father wouldn't let them watch Frozen or take them to see the movie bc it had magic. Meanwhile he's out going to stripclubs. Hypocrite!

Sounds like he has his own cognitive dissonance issues.

Is all I got to say is what a F*Up religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit