Is it okay for JW to take Medical Marijuana?

by Iamallcool 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Pattytheperfectone
    Pattytheperfectone

My husband takes medical marijuana in order to not take so many opioid pain killers; his father with the same condition died in his 40's from too many painkillers harming his liver among other issues. Needless to say, I much prefer the pot to an early death of my husband. My mother told me she understood and that the JW's were ok with it as long as it was medical and he had a prescription...this was at a time in my life when I had decided I was going to give the religion a chance after years out and my mom was trying to convince my husband to jump on the crazy train with me. My attempt to rejoin was short lived and as soon as my mom realized that, she told my sister how sad she was that WE chose smoking marijuana (my husband does with a dr's recommendation, not I) over serving Jehovah and that she would have to limit her contact with me again. Not a word to me or even a phone call, just judgement. So supposedly it's ok, but only if you attend their 'not a church' Kingdom Hall.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All the thousands of "can we"/"can't we" questions must, at a certain point, really start to wear thin on the poor schmucks at WTHQ who have to answer them...

...reminds me of Flanders having Reverend Lovejoy on speed-dial.

• designs
    designs

Its funny about drugs and the Wt.'s views. One pain killer is ok and another is taboo. Take a pill ok, smoke it no no.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why would 1973 articles mean anything to anyone?

"This does not make it Scripturally proper"

I hate that phrase.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Evidently...yes

Obviously... no

We can rightly assume...yes

True Christians would...no

And the cycle continues...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

A couple Elders told me all about a BOE letter they received. Basically, if it's legal, it's a conscience matter. Medical MJ is not different than any other prescibed substance. Many painkillers are "legal" but addictive, and you could be in trouble with Jeehoober if you get hooked. You could even lose your microphone privliges.

The questing that I have is this. What is the differenc between medical MJ and smokeless cigarettes or Vaping? Is it the "smoking" aspect that is a defilement of the flesh, or is it the chemicals added to cigarettes? If you are vaping [ I hate that term so much, it's like "fetch"..] and not inhaling smoke and harmful chemicals, then what's the problem? It's legal?

DD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

hoser - "I have a friend who is an elder in California and he told me they had that question in their congregation They wrote the branch And the reply was yes as long as it is legal and you don't advertise the fact."

Oh, god; I just had this image in my head of an elder, stoned on medical bud, giving a Public Talk...

"And so, like, Jehovah's awesome, you know..."

It's a good thing they discontinued the bookstudy; some would've been just too tempted to serve "Scooby Snacks".

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

There is also a difference in the make up of medical MJ than the sort you would find on the street, especially if you are talking about the stronger stuff that is around these days. You would not be allowed to smoke it however.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would love to try some. I may go hang with so JWN people from Colorado someday....

DD

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yes it is not only Okay it is essential they do so, the meetings are so much more easier to listen to when you are good and high after smoking a fat dubbie. But try not to get the giggles when someone was says something stupid at the meeting(which is pretty often) because that is disrespectfull and could make you be considered not a very good candidate for leading the theme song: "Listen Obey and Be Bless", and if your a brother or in a congregation that is practically all sisters and you get caught laughing out loud might cost you microphone handleing priviledges(watch where you put that thing in front the congregation.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit