What is your favorite gospel music?

by Zoos 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mum
    Mum

There isn't so much gospel music anymore. It has been replaced by those insipid "praise songs." I was taken to the Holiness Church when I was small. I love the songs we used to sing then, such as "The Old Rigged Cross," "Victory in Jesus," "I'll be a List'nin' for my Name," and "When the Roll is Called up Yonder," to name a few.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Not a fan of modern gospel, but the old stuff was great.. e.g. The Blind Boys of Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfpTt76Xps

Does Blind Willie Johnson count as gospel? try "Nobody's Fault But Mine" ..superb !

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Anything by Tobey Keith that mentions kicking Arab A** and the USA. Nuff said....

DD

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

From the Church I attended when I lived in Orlando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67NI54M67KY

Coffee

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wish I could ban contemporary Christian music. With my rock'n'roll credentials, I hate it. I leave stores when it is played. There is such achingly beautiful Christian music from the past. Listen to the Beatles, Dylan, or the WHO for one minute and then compare Christian music. It is almost as though they admit they are not musicians. I would walk out of a church if I heard contemporary Christian music. Yuck.

I love gospel standards and spirituals. Chants are nice. Jesus Christ, Superstar proved you can have decent music. Episcopalians officailly adopted a hymn book of spirituals. I am used to hearing spirituals performed by black people. The white people try so hard. It is entertaining.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

BOTR... i disagree with you....but that's ok.... I love the older music as well. That church had both... 2 separate services.

Coffee

• littlerockguy
  • littlerockguy
  • littlerockguy
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

BluesBrothers (I liked your movie. Really made me laugh)

The YouTube you shared, the only reference I have, as a born in, is watching (your movie) and Whoopi Goldberg in 1994, Corrina, Corrina. They had a gospel moment, too.

Most of the KHalls I have been at, in, or visiting, only a few seem to sing. Most just mumble.

I was on a Bible study aka Watch Tower interrogation and brainwashing technique 101, for the as yet, uninitiated,

when the lady mentioned that she enjoyed listening to Gospel music. Oh, oh.

I don't recall exactly, what the "conductor" said, more or less, don't waste your time with that. They are singing about Jesus, not Jehovah.

LoisLane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit