GB approves entertainment auditioning for international delegates.

by suavojr 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I went to an international convention in 1973. They had a special program apart from the convention for the delegates, ethnic dancing and singing and costumes, experiences from the past during WW2.

It reminds me of Family Night (not to be confused with Family Worship) where members of Bethel auditioned and then put on a show inviting friends and family when possible.

Back then several congregations put together a musical evening with supervision from the elders. Shortly after than the curtain came down because of the "Great Apostasy" in the early 80's. No more "big" gatherings. We had sing-a-longs at one sister's house and I played piano and we sang many songs from musicals and pop standards. Had to keep it to 10 people but some still complained.

I still remember orchestras at circuit assemblies and district conventions...something also cancelled supposed due to the time it took.

So in 1978 the WTS said:

*** km 4/78 p. 6 par. 1 “Victorious Faith” International Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

Special music for the interludes and for audience singing is being prepared by the Society with the aid of many brothers throughout the country who are talented musicians. This means that there will be no live orchestras this year, but the specially prepared music will be presented by tape to give real unity to this important feature of the program at all the international conventions.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Ethnic music???

What kind of ethnic music will be presented in Detroit? Gangsta Rap?

• blondie
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

We have Brothers™ who are Native Americans.

Do you think they would allow them to dance "Pow Wow" style, minus the tomahawks, of course.

LoisLane

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The Beatles are now ok then hey?

so in the sixties they were condemned as "part of the evil rock music from satan"

so will "Lucy in the sky" be ok?

by this reasoning, then, in 30 years time we can play some "snoopdog" stuff hey?

" All tha biatches sit on my €>#^ "

If they do a JW-Idol, or a JW-Voice, oh God, tell me they will not be singing Kingdom™ Melody songs.

LL

PS Or, what would be more American than singing Michael Jackson songs...

Or, some of Prince's, songs.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Hey There- King David would be in charge of the dancing virgins auditions. Cue Benny Hill theme music.

I remember an article in the Awake or Watchtower, decades ago, where a couple who did competition dancing for their livelihood, had to give it up, because competition made Jehovah, sad.

If they are having WT try outs, is that not competing against your Brother™ or Sister™???

LL

• steve2
    steve2

Your audition will be summarily rejected if you perform Dylan's All Along The Watchtower.

• krejames
    krejames

This is happening in the UK too - auditioning for the entertainment of the missionaries and other "dignitaries" for the international conventions. A member of my family who is a fantastic pianist and singer and often performs adele style songs failed the audition. Apparently her repertoire wasn't up-beat enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit