Where were you? / How old were you?... during the Ray Franz witch trial?

by Zoos 36 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Remember Ray was not df'd and sent away from Bethel. That was some years later after the WTS wrote that associating with a da'd person (Peter Gregerson) was grounds for df'ing. When Ray associated with Peter, it was not a df'ing offense. He was df'd for a past action. BTW Ray's wife Cynthia was not df'd although she had associated too with Peter.

Ed Dunlap's wife was not df'd for doing the same things her husband was df'd for.

It wasn't until after Ray left Bethel and was df'd as above, that he wrote his books. He was not a crusader to right wrongs when he was at Bethel.

How many remember that in 1980 GB member Chitty left? Did any jws wonder why? GB member Leo Greenlees left in 1984 without any announcement.

*** yb80 pp. 257-258 Theocratic Instrumentalities ***

The Governing Body functions by means of committees of which there are six: Chairman’s, Writing, Teaching, Service, Publishing and Personnel. In the past year Ewart C. Chitty resigned, so that at present there are 17 members of this body.

• blondie
  • nugget
    nugget

I was 15 it barely made a blip on my conciousness.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I was 8 as well and never heard anything about it until I found Freeminds on the Internet in my 20s. And what a very juicy story it was indeed!

Reading CoC shortly after changed my life forever.

I was too young to understand the KM announcement and don't remember any discussion around it in my family or JW friends. I think I was just sheltered from such things, if they did occur.

Phae

• tiki
    tiki

I remember NYC convention in 1958 - the biggie in Yankee Stadium & Polo Grounds - and I believe Ray delivered some talks then - and of course Freddie. Freddie was always a hoot to me as a kid - so bombastic and bizarre. Ray had a more sensible approach and demeanor. Then I recall when Time mag did a piece on Ray and his book and it was all total taboo......Even to touch the magazine came across as opening the door to the demons. So, none of us really knew much of the details - out in the territory.....it wasn't until much much later that I actually got enlightened.

I did have an uncle though, who, to quote him, as re: 'truth' involvement "choose to fly under the radar" - he read the book and a lot of other stuff too and eventually made his departure into apostadom....whatever that is. Honesty?

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I would have been 23, and just moved to a differnt city, and heard little about it for a while. # years later I moved to the Atlanta area, and the gossip over the chain food stores owned by Peter Gregerson. The cong I was in used the wispergram to spread the word to stay away from thoes stores.

I heard Ray give a talk or two over my early years. I lived so many places, no telling where it was. It turns out I knew some of the brothers from Anaston Alabama that threw Ray out. I spent three months in Anaston, with a company I used to work for. I was warned about apostates in the area. I had no ideal who they were talking about, until I got back to Atlanta.

I got CoC just a few months ago, and I agree, he comes across as someone without a mean bone in his body.

Dwain

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I was 15 and living at home with Elder Dad and Pioneer mom. I do recall mom discussing the Time magazine blurb about it with Dad and wondering what was up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit