Where were you? / How old were you?... during the Ray Franz witch trial?

by Zoos 36 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I was a kid. No recollection. In the early 90s my parenrs said franz was an apostate and they were told not to read any news articles or any tv reports.

Typical

• Island Man
    Island Man

I was a baby then, a little over a year old.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Junior in high school..I think my dad made mention of it but I paid no attention..to busy thinking about girls...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Lois,

I thought the same thing about nepotism. If it were not for the family connection, I would not have given a second thought much less pay for a book. We had no contact with the Witness for about a decade. There is continuity b/c the WT has stayed the same in its cult aspects for generations. My mom knew a lot of the older actors. She would not lie. I knew the book was true. His lack of bitterness was remarkable.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I read the book when it came out I think David Read(?) mentioned it in his newsletter I was out a long time by then. I read Ray's book as a non believer and focused on his situation and the inner workings of the GB.

However thinking back to what happened I wonder if anyone at Bethel or on the GB wondered if God was using Ray to help straighten out the doctrines that Ray and others were trying to bring truth to the 'truth'?

I mean he had an extensive bible knowledge and years of dedicated service. Apparently one of those servants who cared about bible truth and honesty.

Then I thought what if Jesus came back disguised as someone else and began preaching a pure message of what he taught and knew at Bethel......... what would outcome be?

I think the same exact DFing that Ray received.

Looking at the amount of flip flopping the mistake prone WTBTS does about their truth they needed all of the help they could get to try to get things right and here they had people meeting together to study the bible on their own time and it was......... we got to get rid of these people....... not........ let's sit down together, pray together and see if God will point us to a better understanding.

Amazing reaction....closed minds and hearts.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i was in my twenties living in a warm climate. i felt sad to hear about Ray Franz. it had somewhat of a knock on effect. i never doubted the anointed.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I was 13. Its a very, very vague memory.... I don't remember anyone talking about it. At that age, I was just starting to understand the nuts and bolts of the religion.

5 years later, no one was talking about it. Not even the older brothers that mentored me......

JW's have an almost bizarre way of sweeping HUGE stories under the rug.....from Franz, to 1975, to Candice Conti....most of them know NOTHING about any of those subjects.

• Gregor
    Gregor

35 in central California. Word got around that he was the main force behind the Aid to Bible Understanding book. That made an impression on me. I met him a few years later.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Early twenties, pioneering in the UK. Vaguely understood that 'something' had happened in Brooklyn bethel to do with apostates because the Watchtower study articles kept going on about apostates. Apart from that - pretty clueless.

• Earnest
    Earnest

I was 27 and in Bethel, but not in America. I did not know much myself but there were a number who had completed Gilead and they were in disbelief that Ed Dunlap was involved in apostacy. I remember there was an article in 'Time' magazine where I got most of my information about this at that time, and Raymond Franz wrote a letter to 'Time' to clarify his viewpoint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit