Where were you? / How old were you?... during the Ray Franz witch trial?

by Zoos 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoos
    Zoos

I was 13yo and largely clueless to what was going on. I think I remember hearing something about an apostate being weeded out of Bethel but really couldn't have cared less. I didn't start getting zealous until a couple of years later.

What are your memories of those events? How did you react? Did you have suspicions? Were you in awe of how effective Jehovah was at keeping his people clean?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I WISH I could gt that kind of info out of my husband and inlaws. My husband was 18 but already had walked out a few years before( heavy drug use) Right before he quit all the drugs and found another , more healthful hobby to throw himself in to. He insists he remembers nothing. His Mom refuswes to talk about it, also claiming not to recall anything.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I was 8.

• blondie
    blondie

I was 29 and visited bethelite friends that year...not a word about it from them. Then the announcement in the KM. Later when they came home I asked them and they said they were under strict orders not to say anything or be asked to go home. Not that they knew that much themselves. I do remember that the WTS put their foot down on every private pre-study group was were not immediate family groups. That meant on 2 single people allowed to get together to pre-study but a ten member family could meet. Couple that with not having entertainment events that were LARGE groups (never defined what was large). The numbers in the YB had gone down, -2% each year before that....blamed on the definition of "sacred service" but not on the disappointment because the end did not come in 1975. There were many rumors....but no facts.

*** km 8/80 p. 2 Announcements ***

This is a notification that Raymond Victor Franz is no longer a member of the Governing Body and of the Brooklyn Bethel family as of May 22, 1980.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was far out in a different world. When I was ill, I saw some JW dissidents on Regis Philbin show. I called the producer and was given a telephone number to call. Ray Franz was incidental to the interview. My mom and I were in shock. Freddie Franz' nephew booted out of Bethel. I ordered the book. We should have ordered two books. Some nonJW relatives thought the book was mean. I did not. They wanted me to be kicked out of school, not date, no dress, no makeup, etc. so their father's tradition would be carried on. They celebrated Christmas, and all holidays. It was all right for them to be Presbyterian but I had to be a JW. I told them where to go.

• blondie
    blondie

To add: starting in 1980, the WTS had one or more study articles devoted to apostasy. jws were looking for apostates in the organization under every stone.

*** w80 8/1 p. 17 Remain “Solid in the Faith” ***“The inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith.”—1 Tim. 4:1.

*** w83 4/1 p. 20 Reject Apostasy, Cling to the Truth! ***“Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son.”—2 JOHN 9.

*** w83 9/15 p. 10 ‘Quietly Bringing in Destructive Sects’ ***“There will also be false teachers among you. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects.”—2 PETER 2:1.

*** w86 3/15 p. 10 ‘Do Not Be Quickly Shaken From Your Reason’ ***“We request of you not to be quickly shaken from your reason nor to be excited either through an inspired expression or through a verbal message or through a letter as though from us.”—2 THESSALONIANS 2:1, 2.

*** w86 7/15 p. 10 Keep Walking in Divine Light ***During congregational study of this article and the two that follow it, the conductor should have the cited portions of First John read as time permits. “God is light.”—1 JOHN 1:5.

JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES are grateful for divine light and intend to keep walking in it. Doing so is not easy, however, for even early disciples of Jesus Christ were faced with apostasy.

*** w86 10/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers *** What is the fitting response of the congregation if someone leaves the true Christian faith and joins another religion?

Such a thing sometimes occurred in the first century. Thus it is understandable that it happens on occasion today. When it does, the congregation appropriately responds to protect the spiritual cleanness of the loyal Christians in it.

One dictionary defines apostasy as “renunciation of one’s religion, principles, political party, etc.” Another says: “Apostasy . . . 1 : renunciation of a religious faith 2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty.” Accordingly, Judas Iscariot was guilty of a form of apostasy when he abandoned the worship of Jehovah God by betraying Jesus. Later, others became apostates by deserting the true faith even while the apostle John and other early disciples were alive. John wrote: “They went out from among us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us.”—1 John 2:19.

What is to be done when a similar thing happens today? The elders, or shepherds, of the congregation might learn of a baptized Christian who has ceased associating with Jehovah’s people and who has apparently become associated with another religion. In harmony with Jesus’ words about being concerned about any stray sheep, the spiritual shepherds should be interested in helping such a person. (Matthew 18:12-14; compare 1 John 5:16.) But what if the shepherds designated to look into the matter determine that the person no longer wants to have anything to do with Jehovah’s people and is determined to remain in a false religion?

They would then simply announce to the congregation that such one has disassociated himself and thus is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Such a person would have ‘abandoned his previous loyalty,’ but it is not necessary for any formal disfellowshipping action to be taken. Why? Because he has already disassociated himself from the congregation. Likely he is not trying to maintain contact with his former brothers so as to persuade them to follow him. For their part, the loyal brothers are not seeking fellowship with him, since ‘he went out from them, for he was not of their sort.’ (1 John 2:19) Such a disassociated person who ‘has gone out from us’ might begin to send letters or literature promoting false religion or apostasy. That would underscore that the individual definitely ‘is not of our sort.’

The Scriptures warn, though, that some would try to remain among God’s people and there attempt to mislead others. The apostle Paul advised: “From among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.” (Acts 20:30) He pointedly warned Christians ‘to keep their eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that they had learned, and avoid them.’—Romans 16:17, 18.

So if someone became a false teacher among true Christians, as did Hymenaeus and Philetus in Paul’s day, the shepherds of the flock would have to take protective steps. If the person rejected their loving admonition and continued to promote a sect, a committee of elders could disfellowship, or expel, such one for apostasy. (2 Timothy 2:17; Titus 3:10, 11) The individual brothers and sisters in the congregation would follow Paul’s direction to “avoid” the one who tried to “cause divisions.” John counseled similarly: “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him.”—2 John 10.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I wasn't born at that time. I always feel like the youngest person in the room for some reason. My mom hadn't even been recruited by the JWs yet. The only thing I ever heard said about it was that "an apostate wrote the 'Aid [to Bible Understanding]' book". I couldn't figure out how that made any sense, or what that was even supposed to mean. I assumed that meant that somehow stuff in the 'Aid' book couldn't be trusted. But I never gave it much thought for most of my life.

--sd-7

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I was 15 and my oldest brother was at Bethel at the time. Our family was just horrified by what was happening. My mother and father would simply shake their heads and say the following....."We must be so close to end"

• shadow
    shadow

I was in Bethel. Had zero effect on me. Not discussed or even noticed where I worked that I can remember. Sort of like when someone leaves a board of directors, doesn't make much difference to the grunts.

Ray wrote a letter when leaving that was read to family at breakfast. Implied that everyone was still on good terms.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I would of just been a young boy at the time. To be honest the first time I heard this guy's name was a about a year and a half ago when I joined Jehovah witness - net.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit