Donation Changes-Elders Meeting

by XBEHERE 28 Replies latest jw friends

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Do jws really call each other the "friends" over there?

• pontoon
    pontoon

I've said before on other threads over the years but it needs repeating hear. We had a bethelite couple in our hall who became missionaries in Africa someplace. They returned for needed medical attention so of course they visited and we had a special talk about their missionary work in Africa. He talked about their brand new KH----that for lack of $300 dollars they were not able to finish it. When I spoke with him after I questioned why the Society was not giving them any money. Lots of excuses but the bottom line was those poor brothers could not show they had the means to pay the money back. The Society may fund a build but they want their money back. Now they want all the money with complete freedom to spend it how they want. They like expensive elaborate complexes for themselves 1st. and are now spending many many millions on themselves and couldn't give crap about some poor pioneer driving a 200,000 mile wore out car and can't afford a tank of gas as long as their circuit overseers are in their new Buicks supported by the friends. They don't pay for anything.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

XBHERE - I cannot for the life of me bear to think what it's like in your situation!

I used to be an M.S. but decided that it was not for me, and voluntarily stood down for "pe rsonal reasons". Very soon after, I started to question certain teachings which then opened the floodgates of TTATT.

I appreciate you having to walk a thin line, but I could not be an Elder and keep my mouth shut when corrupt decisions were being made by the lily-livered BOE!

I even rescinded my "privilege" of reading the Watchtower at the KH. My stomach couldn't handle it.

Exiting is never easy with family indoctrinated. Best wishes for you!

• ?me?
    ?me?

I am seriously considering "asking questions" when this comes up for a resolution. Like most congregations i am sure you would get the evil eye if you ask prying questions, or VOTE AGAINST the resolution. i was thinking about asking specfic questions that are addressed in the other pages of the letter, especially since our hall is newer(less than 10 yrs) and has a loan with the WTS.

unfortunately, 75 percent of our hall is somehow connected with a "priveledged person" elder, elderette, ms, msette, pioneer, or related to a pioneer. so I think it will be a landslide when the vote comes up with little question.

• Magnum
    Magnum

pontoon:

They like expensive elaborate complexes for themselves 1st. and are now spending many many millions on themselves and couldn't give crap about some poor pioneer driving a 200,000 mile wore out car and can't afford a tank of gas as long as their circuit overseers are in their new Buicks supported by the friends. They don't pay for anything.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I once went to a training school for a company I worked for. The company paid for nice rooms and all of my very good meals and even all the snacks I wanted. Compare that to how the org does for couples school, pioneer schoool, etc. Local brothers provide rooms; local brothers provide meals. The org doesn't put out a cent.

Add to that the fact that the company was paying me for my time at the school. Those going to couples are paying, not being paid, to be there. They pay in the form of gas money, time spent, clothes, etc. My company paid for my travel to the school, too; they paid the airfare and they paid me while I travelled.

DuvanMuvan:

Do jws really call each other the "friends" over there?

Yeah; it's weird. Been hearing that for decades over here. It sounds cultish. It is said both on and off the platform. We have some who say the word over and over in talks. "Friends,...." / "Now friends..." / "You friends..."

I have never ever uttered that expression in that way as a JW. My wife and I both think it sounds so unnatural and cultish.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, my parents are always talking about "one of the friends" when telling me about someone in their hall.

It's a phrase that's often used in elementary schools around here. It turns my stomach every time I hear another teacher say something like, "When one of our friends is speaking, we need to be respectful..."

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, Quakers refer to themselves officially as "the friends." Quakers is a term that people outside their organization assigned to them.

The term "the friends" in the WTS goes back to the days of CTR.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Blondie, interesting. Didn't know that about the Quakers or that the term went back that far with JWs.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

CTR ... not to be confused with CCR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9KKo8mZ5Eo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit