Do you believe there will be "Mass Suicides" within the BAC/JW community?

by booker-t 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I think fundamentalist religion is about getting away from reality. As a therapist you might almost see it as a rather successful way for those struggling with poor mental health to actually move through life in this complex world. The delusion is a coping strategy for them. Those born into it often leave battered and bruised but essentially they escape because they are well. It's being around the deluded that is harming them.

Personally I don't think there will be mass suicide because they share a group delusion that keeps them going. They will just decide it will not be in their lifetime after all. From my JW friend who has been in for 60 years I gather those that remain think it is the best way of life possible so even if the promised bliss is a long time coming they feel protected and safe.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

It don't think that there would ever be a mass suicide with the JWs. 7 million + people, it's too big of a group to do that. Plus things seems to be working for them so far so I doubt they will go off into extremes. The only way I see that happening is if there's a group that breaks off, a sect within the organization, or just a group of people that decide to literally remove themselves from the world, do their own thing, and become a death cult. That's how some death cults have worked.

• d
    d

relgion is nothing but one big ponzi scheme.Those in power know this and use it as tool of control.

• Laika
    Laika

No, I don't believe or worry about that, I do however worry about the approach you'll take with any religious clients you might have.

• DJS
    DJS

Booker T (and the MGs),

The bible has already been proven to be one big fairy tale. Certainly there is some historical accuracy to it, but as 'god's word' it is a fairy tale. The problem: the manner in which it is written it will be 'relevant' for the next generation. And the next. And the next. Isn't that special? So your premise lacks solid foundation. People believe because they want to believe. Belief is the second lowest facet of sentient beings, just above feelings. Believing reqires nothing more than feeling. If the big A doesn't come, someone, after a period of time, will emerge with the 'true' understanding. And people will listen because they want to listen and they want to believe. Screw the facts. Or science. Or proof.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The highest suicide rate is among the elderly. I imagine that the same people who would normally be at risk for suicide, will be at risk for suicide. The people who just "roll with it", they won't commit suicide. Being at risk doesn't always translate into carrying through.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You seriously overestimate the ability of those in a cult to acknowledge that they are, in fact, in a cult. No matter how wrong the predictions were, they will just latch onto whatever pathetic explanation is given to them as to why the end hadn't come, and go on as ignorant as they were before . Those who are ready and willing to see the obvious will just get out. It may be traumatic for them, but most will eventually recover and get on with their lives like we all did.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a hunch there will be no mass suicides. People will just blindly obey any crap from the GB. In fact, it need not be the GB but someone only a bit higher than they are. I missed 1975 b/c I had just left. There were any news stories about mass suicides. My mom spoke of a time earlier, long before I was born, when people sold their assets. Something about a mountain. Their lives were ruined. She did not mention any mass suicides.

I do feel the Witnesses are mostly losers. Oh, I could not take them for two minutes today. The police would be called to get me out. Nevertheless, I try to show them respect as humans. It is never returned. Altho they were close geographically, most of have no idea of history or Bethel politics. It is all magic to them. Our public schools shoud graduate brighter and more informed people. I don't mean the theology but to question everything in life.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

They new cult compound in Warwick does give me concern for those working at HQ. I think they will become more and more detached from reality.

Why would that be any more true in Warwick than in Brooklyn? I think they are pretty detached from reality as it is.

• LV101
    LV101

No - they'd believe anything the message gods tell them no matter. They give their all and when there's no more to give their fantasies live on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit