What usually happens after the memorial?

by Frazzled UBM 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Thanks for comments everyone - it seems it is because it is only an hour and so she doesn't want to travel an hour and a half each way for a one hour meeting. The start time would have been 7 pm at the Filipino congregation, which would have meant I would have had to go home early, so that seems to have factored into her thinking. I was a bit surprised though with her going to the local one, as I figure her main motivation for going is social and so it doesn't make sense if she doesn't know anyone. But maybe the ritual is important in itself.

• KateWild
    KateWild

But maybe the ritual is important in itself.- Fraz

I think you're right on this one. Cult members get caught up in ritualistic behaviours to make themselves feel better that they are doing what is right. If her meeting attendance is not regular she will feel guilty. This is such a shame because it's a good thing when she misses a meeting.

I would say that JWs view this as the most important meeting in the year, so to go is very important.

There is a lot of good I can see in your wifes membership that may cause her to leave soon. It seems that family life is more important to her than performing rituals for the GB, however it's a shame she feels guilty for this. Fraz you are being patient and doing well as an UBM. I hope you can find a way so your wife feels good about missing meetings and not studing her WT.

Kate xx

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

John_Mann got it right. Around here the final song ends and the prayer has an "amen"... A buzz of conversation breaks out, about entirely mundane things. Everybody goes home, puts the children to bed (if they have them) have a late supper in front of the T V and go to bed.....That is all

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Usually, the REJECT Astaroth Party ends with a mad dash for the exits, complete with congestion, and heavy traffic in the streets just outside the venue until all the cars are gone (and more come in, if another congregation meets after). If it is the last congregation, they might straggle for a time to make up for the rush to get in and find a seat. I never saw us doing anything after the party except going home and being miserable, feeling what a waste of time it all was. And wishing we would have had a good 2 meters of snow.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew families that got together afterwards for a snack, some a meal, but they did not advertise it. There are jw nazis out their trying to find something to complain about.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We went home. It was lonely. Memorial spooked me a lot. I always wondered why we never celebrated the same as Jews. The one thing I liked about Memorial was that my mom played Easter and sewed us new outfits. It was dinky compared to joyful Easters and Passovers.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

What to expect from a JW?

A deep silent lonely meditation in lotus position searching pure introspection?

Their version of deep meditation is read a dumbed down article of Watchtower or edible insects in Awake.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Ah, does IHOP mean anything to you? Eat stacks of flapjacks drowned in syrup and wash it down with bottomless cup of joe.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Once or twice we were invited to an after memorial get to gether. But that was it.

The good thing about the memorial is that it is a short meeting. And, since the other congregation needs to use the hall you had to get out early. So, we could go home a watch TV and forget the thing ever happened.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In my experience, nothing happens if it is on a school night (school the next morning).

Otherwise, possibly a stop for some food and drink.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit