What usually happens after the memorial?

by Frazzled UBM 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Do members of the congregation usually have a meal together after the memorial? Does the fact that my wife has decided not to travel across town to her Filipino congregation and is going to the local one instead and wants to be picked up when it finishes at 8 pm mean that she hasn't been invited to a meal with her Filipino congregation and that she is being socially excluded by them? I think this is good news but I don't want her to get caught up with the local congregatin because I don't want them coming around to pressure her to attend when she is irregular. If she is thinking aboutr fading I see it is useful for her to be affiliated with two congregations a long way apart so if she doesn't turn up at one they might think she is attending the other provided she doesn't make a clear switch such that the local congregation counts her as one of theirs and keeps track of her attendance.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The lat memorial i attended was in a kingdom Hall shared by two congregations...all i remember was to bugger off so the other congregation could have its turn. OH and the persiding overseers inzane interest in how many attended...he wanted more than the next congregation.

• Laika
    Laika

Nah, it's not that common to go out after the memorial, especially on a Monday.

• KateWild
    KateWild

As a family we didn't make any after the meeting plans after the memorials we attended. But the Fillipino cong might be more sociable. They may have made plans when your wife missed a meeting.

Another reason may be because she just wants to be in and out because she is simply tired. The meeting is a lot shorter than all other meetings at the hall and the attendance is usually doubled, for this reason she may want to go to a hall where she is not well known so she can just go in and out quickly and quietly.

I know your wife is the quiet type, why not just ask her why she went to the English on your way home after you've picked her up. Maybe you could all go out for a meal after as well.

Kate xx

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

We are having the memorial after another congregation and it would be too late to got out. Usually, if it is earlier, we go with friends for dinner or drinks, but Monday i am not sure who wants to go?

• cantleave
    cantleave

We used to go home.

• sir82
    sir82

I've always been struck by how UN-spiritual the evening is, both before and after the event.

I mean, it's advertised as the "most sacred night" of the year, "the most improtant meeting", "profound", etc.

But within 30 seconds of the final "amen", all the JWs in attendance are making plans regarding where they are going to eat that night, or their plans for the weekend, or the new phone they just bought, etc.

I mean, you'd think they'd at least put on a pretense of reverence, or respect, or contemplation, or something, right? On this "most holy night"?

Nope - "Amen", and "Hey, Bob, check out this new Samsung I just got...."

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

"Amen", and "Hey, Bob, check out this new Samsung I just got...."

Exactly what happens...

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hey Fraz, Da.Furious makes an excellent point. As your wife is in a Tagalog cong her KH may have a number of congs especially in London, so her cong might be starting very late. As she is bilingual your wife would rather go to an earlier memorial then go to the later Tagalog one.

Kate xx

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Although in some locations every meeting night is an occasion to go out afterwards, usually food and beer.

In the southern US, baptists get criticized for building lovely outdoor picnic facilities so they may fellowship, but the jw criticizers do lots of fellowshipping at Chili's and Applebee's and similar local eateries.

I know quite a few jws who go out to eat and drink at 10:00pm rather than being "balanced" and going home for a good night's rest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit