Looking for BOE letter regarding DF'd at memorial

by Dutchdelight 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

How do they handle non witnesses? If some interested person actually did come from getting the brochure would they be passed over when the emblems came around? you mean they can't even touch the tray or whatever?

From a non jw perspective it is weird enough that there is a 'memorial' in which the vast majority of the cong actually reject the emblems and weirder yet that an outsider or df'd person is not even allowed to touch or pass along the rejected body and blood of Christ. weird, weird, weird

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

I can't find any letter going back to 1981 that says anything about DFed and memorial

• Dutchdelight
    Dutchdelight

Thanks for looking WF. Kate, I'm not sure yet... I'd only go for my parents sake, they find it difficult to keep in touch now that I'm not attending anymore.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Dutch,

It sounds like your parents want to have contact with you. This might be the straw that breaks the camels back. They may stop going because of this.

My daughter stopped going because she wanted to have contact with me. She saw how badly I was treated when I was DF'd, so she left and we talk nearly everyday, she is grown up and moved out.

Kate xx

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I believe the person just had a grudge against you or simply messed up.

All in attendance are supposed to pass the emblems. Who has the right to remove that entitlment from you and choose who can and cannot pass them? That'd be like someone saying you can't pray when you are DF'ed.

• Dutchdelight
    Dutchdelight

I'm sure my parents want to have contact with me. But you know... their conscience. Both my bro's are in too, they shun me, so I think they feel they must shun me too. They didn't when I was attending meetings to get RI. It's very painful to see them suffering from this. Also they know I was treated unfair and without any compassion. They sent a letter to the elders in the cong i was df'd and they got a letter back that was just lies.

I moved away to a different cong far far away so no one holds a grudge against me. When it happened I contacted my bro who is an elder in yet another cong and he confirmed the end of isle policy. It's a rule, I'm sure.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If I recall, the BOE letter included instructions that if a DF'd person make it clear that he would partake of the emblems, then they would give the person a straw to avoid the person putting his lips on the cup.

Rub a Dub

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

There isn't one. Several Watchtower references might apply:

I think this is the one that some elders are operating under:

*** w56 6/15 p. 383 Questions From Readers ***
    . A disfellowshiped person is no member of Jehovah’s congregation and may not be served the emblems by those serving at the celebration of the Lord’s evening meal

However, more recent references clearly indicate that those who attend and are disfellowshipped should be served:

*** w58 8/1 p. 478 Questions From Readers ***
    It is not for you or anyone serving the Memorial emblems to act as the judge, but to allow the emblems to go to anyone in the audience as these are passed along in the normal manner of letting each one have the opportunity to partake.

*** w76 2/1 p. 76 “Keep Doing This in Remembrance of Me” ***
    . We do not invite disfellowshiped persons to attend. But if such a one is present, there is no reason to be disturbed if he is seated in a row with others and proceeds to partake of the emblems. Such a one is not counted, in any case, as a partaker.

This implies he would be served, otherwise he would not be able to partake.

Just curious, what part of the world are you in? If in the USA what part of the country are you in generally?

CC

• pixel
    pixel

If he is seated in a row with others and proceeds to partake of the emblems. Such a one is not counted, in any case, as a partaker.

So, they and only they have the only word of who can partake and is going to heaven...I guess is their religion and their rules. Weird.

• jimbojones
    jimbojones

I believe this has been busted. Had a df'd person at our memorial and was seated on the aisle. The server was a 20 year+ elder and the elder still served the emblems to the df'd person. Maybe this was done back in Crazy Freddy's day but seems to be phased out now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit