My 45 Minute Conversation With JWs Today

by cofty 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

As I was saying before The Watchtower Literature Trolley has arrived in my little town...

My wife and I were in town this afternoon and I saw one of my former elder colleagues standing beside the trolley talking to a young man and reading to him from one of their books. Ray was one my least favourite people - he was everything that is bad about JW elders. I went up to them and interrupted and told the man that this is a cult recruitment campaign. Ray was like a rabbit in the headlights as I told the man briefly how the Watchtower breaks up families. It was a brief interaction but it made me happy.

About half an hour later I noticed Ray and Veronica had handed over to two young men that I didnt know. While my wife was in a few shops I went up for a chat. To cut a very long story short they were from Poland and had been un the UK about 6 years. They had become JWs since moving here. I was honest with him about my upbringing as a JW and that I had been a local pioneer and elder before leaving in '95. He said that he had been told that a lot of JWs had left the congregation in '95 and he knew my name.

Anyway he wasn't frightened off and was happy to talk - the other man was his bro-in-law and seemed to have limited English. Over about 45 minutes we talked about shunning, blood transfusions, failed end-times prophecy, obedience to the GB, increased demands for money and other things. He wanted to discuss creation but his best argument was "there are still monkeys in the zoo" so I decided it would have been an unfair fight.

I tried to appeal constantly to his authentic personality and common sense. I hope I showed him that I am not an angry, raving madman but a calm, intelligent, thoughtful man who no can longer believe impossible things. I left him with the advice to check out JWFacts.com and we shook hands and left on good terms.

I am off out for a meal but will post up some more details of our conversation later.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

He wanted to discuss creation but his best argument was "there are still monkeys in the zoo" so I decided it would have been an unfair fight.

Lol. Glad you had a civilized discussion, I'm sure what you said will stay with them. Enjoy your meal.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

MARKED!!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

He wanted to discuss creation but his best argument was "there are still monkeys in the zoo"

Always makes me laugh

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Congratulations on shocking and awing Ray, cofty!! I'm gald that you had fun and cared enough to help JWs to critically think for themselves.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Way to go

• cha ching
    cha ching

Very Good, Cofty!

I liked your link to the previous post, and Witness My Fury's idea:

"Make a sandwich board (freestanding type) with It's a cult! and www.jwfacts.com on it in big letters and stand it right next to the JW.org cart. Stand within rescuing distance of it as the JWs will try and remove it within 30 seconds.... Prepare for the ensuing confrontation of wills LOL."

And this says it all: "Ray was one my least favourite people - he was everything that is bad about JW elders" We know exactly what you mean...

One day, my hubby and I will be 'at the trolly' with our jw.fact stickers, or clapboards or..... something! haha! They can't escape!

Cha Ching!

• NotNew
    NotNew

**He wanted to discuss creation but his best argument was "there are still monkeys in the zoo"

call me dumb ass...but I said that also. I took what I was told from the GB-WT and never looked as to why this would be a stupid remark.

Perhaps less ridicule and more education is in order! Ignorance is not stupid...someone just dosent have the facts or knowledge.

Cofty...glad u treated them with respect!

SW

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: I hope I showed him that I am not an angry, raving madman but a calm, intelligent, thoughtful man who no can longer believe impossible things.

That is possibly the most powerful cognitive dissonance inducing thing we can be.

Well done!

• Earnest
    Earnest

Cofty: First time I see an elder on the trolley I am going to take a Watchtower and deposit it in that litter bin in the picture. Might blow my nose on it first.

Cofty: I hope I showed him that I am not an angry, raving madman but a calm, intelligent, thoughtful man who no can longer believe impossible things.

I understand the emotional response but think the rational response to be more productive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit