Misappropriation of funds (Project for an Assembly Hall in Guadalajara)

by avaddohn94 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

I have to add something that now amuses me and is actually quite funny (NOT).

If there is someone here that knows the work in Nicaragua, you will remember that at one time they started working and building not one Branch Project but TWO - simultaneously! The backstory is sordid and was one of my first "shocks" about the Organization! I will not hijack the thread (and can tell this story in a separate thread), but it pertains to this topic because the mindset is the same.

Step 1: Buy land or get donated land

Step 2: Big fights and discussions lead the Borg to believe that Land from step 1 is not good, so they start another project at another place.

Step 3: have everybody donate towards BOTH projects.

Step 4: Sell off Project 1 (with buildings, reception, rooms, setups like parking lots, etc.) to rich foreign corporation. Put money in pocket.

Step 5: Continue with project 2 (start all over again > donations, free work, etc.)

Step 6: Sell again. Cash in. Be happy.

Project 1 was Branch project in Diriamba and Project 2 was Branch project in Ticuantepe.

There you have it. Easy, isn't it? Nothing new for "old mother".

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Man, at first when reading it, I thought it was a 3rd party scam. Even I didn't think that the WT would pull off such a blatant heist. While its very sad taht they would do such a thing, hopefully it will wake up some of the bros n sisters in Mexico. Isnt it NICE that they can keep their own money on deposit with the branch or deposit it to the WW work? Jeez, that is just a stinky way to do things

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The Governing Body is taking too much advantage of the famous phrase:

"There is a sucker born every minute"

http://blogcritics.org/q-who-said-theres-a-sucker/

A: P. T. Barnum, you say? Pretty close, but no. Although nearly always attributed to Barnum, the aphorism about suckers was actually delivered by Barnum’s rival David Hannum, a grade-A sucker himself. You see, in the 1860s, tobacconist John Hull created an elaborate, money-making hoax in which he had a 10-foot-tall stone statue of a man carved and then buried in Cardiff, New York. The giant stone man was then dug up again and Hull was now able to sell it as an archaeological oddity. In 1869, Hannum and four business partners took the bait and paid $37,500 for the worthless artifact thinking that they could turn a profit by charging people to get a glimpse of it.

This abuse of people and their trusting you to be some sort of lily white Faithful and Discreet Servant has its limits of gulibilty and the Governing Body have crossed the line. Just wait untill these multi million dollar lawsuits have to be paid I see some major financial blounders down the road out of desparation.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

... if after the analysis it is determined that this construction will not take place, each circuit can determine if:

1. they want that their donations be placed in deposit with the branch office or
    2. if they wish to make a donation to the worldwide work.
    3. For now, you can continue with the procedure to send donations for this proposed project

What about Option #4: We want our money back!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BluePill2: I will not hijack the thread (and can tell this story in a separate thread)

Please do!

• JeffT
    JeffT

On the other hand, if after the analysis it is determined that this construction will not take place, each circuit can determine if they want that their donations be placed in deposit with the branch office or if they wish to make a donation to the worldwide work.

Wow. That's like putting your money in the bank and then getting a letter asking if you want the bank manager to have it or should he give it to the assistant manager.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Typical WT....I was raised in that cult, and I know lots of iniside information. My dad was CO, and he knew members of the GB and Freddie...any way, I can tell you my experience, and I'm sure it happened to many other places in the World.

A brother donated the land to build a KH. We all contribute for that with money, plus we all worked for free for the building work. WT gave NOTHING!!! At the end of the day, the hall was used by 3 congregations, and we all have to pay RENT to the society, because we are using the hall!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean that's ridiculous: We build the hall, donate money, work for free, and WT comes and asks RENT...Boy and they call them selves NON Profit Organization....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Notice that the WT never said analysis of what. Also, WTBTS did not say who would conduct the analysis, on what terms, or who would make the ultimate decision. I bet the donors gave the WT the rights.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I bet the donors gave the WT the rights.

I agree with this. Whatever else goes on, the Watchtower's lawyers are not stupid. They are also the only attorney's involved in these deals, so the usual give and take between two sets of lawyers never takes place. Watchtower legal writes it up the way they want it and then tell the brothers in the KH's where to sign, all the while telling them that they have everybody's best interests in mind.

I keep thinking of the scene in "The Social Network" when Eduardo realizes that he's been screwed because he let Zuckerberg's lawyer write up all the paperwork.

• ballistic
    ballistic

JeffT, Sorry I meant to say to you a few years ago, your picture is unbelievably small? :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit