Deuteronomy 22:28,29. Thank Jebus nobody pays attention to this f*cked up part of "God's inspired word" any more.

by DuvanMuvan 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

28 “If a man happens to meet a virgin girl who is not engaged and he seizes her and lies down with her and they are discovered,+29 the man who lay down with her must give the girl’s father 50 silver shekels, and she will become his wife.+ Because he humiliated her, he will not be allowed to divorce her as long as he lives." -NWT 2013 revised edition

Was just on the thread about Lot and his messed up family life and was reminded of another part of the bible that made me feel physically sick the first time i read it. And what makes it worse for me is how the wt tries to put a completely different spin on this. (luckily for me this was all on the online library so anybody can see how they twist what's been written)

"If a man seduced an unengaged virgin, he had to take her as his wife; even if the father flatly refused to give her to him, he had to pay her father the purchase price for virgins (50 shekels; $110), the usual bride-price, because her diminished value as a bride would now have to be compensated for.—Ex 22:16, 17; De 22:28, 29." - it-1 494

I'm sorry but where do they get the idea that the woman in this scenario is "seduced"? The word used is "seizes" (i've also noticed that this is one of the few bible translations that didn't use the word rape) which by definition implies force was used.

Another part reads: " Under the Mosaic Law, a man committing fornication with an unengaged girl was required to marry the girl and to pay her father the purchase price for brides (50 silver shekels; $110), and he could not divorce her all his days. Even if her father refused to give him the girl in marriage, the man had to pay the purchase price to the father. ( Ex 22:16, 17; De 22:28, 29 ) " -it-1 863

Then we get to the part about the "bride-price". Because everyone knows that you can't fall in love and marry the woman of your dreams for less than 50 shekels. So much for the sanctity of marriage.

• designs
    designs

Chatel

• Comatose
    Comatose

Ah the bible. Wonderful message from god who loves us all so much, he even loves the raped women. Providing wonderful husbands for them.

• snowbird
    snowbird

That's right.

Marry her and pay, or don't marry her and still pay.

I'll bet that cooled many an amorous male's ardor.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

So did god say and mean these words

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I'm just annoyed i didn't read this stuff BEFORE i wasted how many weekends doing fs that didnt even count to anything because i wasnt a publisher. And back then it probably would have woken my mum up too but now she just goes into "wait on Jehovah" mode every time i say something

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Women as property... Ah, the good old days.

(Just kidding - I find this disgusting and a reflection of the real purpose of the bible, which is to oppress women.)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Implied, Confused,

You wanted her that badly, you will either marry her and pay by staying with her or you will pay her father a goodly amount because you've diminished her worth.

Either way, the man paid.

Served him right!

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

well 2 timothy 3:16 tells us:

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness"

So really anyone who doesn't follow this rule is ignoring the wonderful provisions that god has provided

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

flipping double posts

might as well ask a side question. What does it mean when someone says "marked" on a thread? I've seen it a lot now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit