Reverse Witnessing - Will NEVER work!

by MissConfused 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Hey a little off topic but i have a theory that the wt always reffering to the jws as "sheep" is like an inside joke between them and the writing staff.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi MissConfused, DITTO what other posters have written about choosing your battles wisely.

Confronting a "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JWs about the WTBTS is a losing battle, so learn how to empower your greatist ally which is a JW's authentic persona. If this sounds confusing, then you need to study information from cult-exit counselors like Steve Hassan's methods by reading his books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visiting his website www.freedomofmind.com, and watching his FREE videos on his website like Strategic Interactive Approach explained 2003 (1:23:23) and How Big is the Phenomenon of Undue Influence? (2:01).

A good analogy of helping a JW to critically think for themselves, would be peeling layers from an onion. Slowly peel the layers of the WTBTS's BITE control, by:

1. Learning how to listen for a JW's authentic persona's perspective by asking JWs innocent, simple questions,
    2. Learning how to turn-off a JW's cult persona by overcoming the WTBTS's thought-stopping platituces and by asking simple questions to make a JW question their own general statements of doom and gloom,
    3. Helping a JW to enjoy life by meeting more non-JWs, who they share commone interests, and
    4. Encouraging JWs to do time-consuming activities that their authentic person's enjoy more than attending WTBTS meetings.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• designs
    designs

Duvan- I always felt special when Freddie called me Rank & File...

• TMS
    TMS

The seeds planted could be considered as time-release medication, taking effect later. Having said that, I think "reverse witnessing" or disproving someone's belief system is very JW.

I spoke for three hours last night with an old friend my age, 66, both of us longtime elders. He is still in. I've been out for some time. While making no attempt to persuade him, I wanted it understood that my permanent departure from the religion was not a "stumbling" or a reaction to an injustice, mistakes made by imperfect men, false predictions or some doctrinal issue, but that I view the religion as one of hundreds of man-made belief systems. Going further, I explained I felt the same way about "Jehovah," the Bible and the god concept.

After all that was carefully explained, repeated several times, several different ways, he said: "Just remember, Jehovah sees all this."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Never say never, as I have found often in my life. I did not decide the Witnesses were evil in a single moment. Every dub is an individual. We don't know what events might happen to make a person remember and change their minds. I never was the way you describe dubs. Many people have left.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Blondie said "It worked with me."

An interesting theory that I have (at least I think it is interesting) is that only intelligent independent thinking people are receptive to the inquisitive questioning.

Thus the reason why reverse witnessing does not work is because most of the intelligent independent thinkers are long gone. You will never get a brain dead person to think with questions. Which is why I would never think about trying.

• cha ching
    cha ching

TMS: very interesting.. "After all that was carefully explained, repeated several times, several different ways, he said: "Just remember, Jehovah sees all this."

I have heard the same kind of "cookie cutter" responses/ phrases from different witnesses also. Things that are deep within them..

That being said, what made you start doubting? or got you out? (My husband was an elder for 10's of years also, we are both out, along with our children)

NY44: I am an 'independent thinker' (haha!) and we just left in 2012? +/- So, maybe, just maybe, there may be some left to reach? maybe they are new? (But, usually you can tell who 'thinks or doesn't think'... that is the question)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Tone makes a big difference. Are you preaching or ordering someone to believe? I don't mind discussing religion with people. When they start preaching or have that smug attitude that they know more than I do, good bye. Now I truly hate your religion.

I won't discuss religion with fundamentalists of any type. Respect is lacking. The Internet is available. People don't need to be rescued. The JW may be cult like but they aren't that bad as cults go. Scan the best seller list. There are many books dealing with God and religion. We are drowning in religion in America.

The Obama campaign told people to talk about our interests with voters. I refused to do so. My interests may not be important to anyone else. What can I add to the dialogue? I asked them what interested them. 95% of the voters we reached just wanted not to be bothered. I am not the president or a cabinet secretary.

Besides, we don't know that we are absolutely right. Giving people respect might lead them to change their views. I must admit that there may be a basis that all those intelligent to leave left argument. I had family members transformed by a relationship (friends, coworker) with one worldly person.

• Suspicious
    Suspicious

It may work for a few, but ultimately in the long run it will have ZERO impact on bringing down this religion as a whole. From what I can see, JWs are going to be sticking around for a LONG time. As long as mankind has a fear of death, people get sick, injustice/war continues (despite it being at an all-time low), and people need hope for a better future, religion in general will always continue be a part of human culture. Humans will fund religion to keep them ignorant. Pay up folks.

• done4good
    done4good

In order to be effective, "Reverse witnessing" needs to take place under a few guidelines:

1. Be empathetic and respectful.

2. Do not discuss doctrine. Keep things on a human level. Doctrinal discussions guarantee a closed mind.

3. Do not expect immediate results. Do expect at least some fallout at first, and do not overreact to this.

4. Know when to back off. This is really an art.

5. Be very selective in whom you decide to speak to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit