If Jealousy is a sin, why is God a jealous God?

by jam 24 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jam
    jam

I'm sure someone will explain the difference between a

Sinful jealousy and a Holy jealousy.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Not here matey! Its like saying "well sinful pride is different than regular pride!"....and i go

• jam
    jam

Good answer. LOL Jon

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Do not commit muder yet go and kill several thousand woman and boys, oh and as a reward you can take as your own young girls for sex. Yes go kill, them have sex.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

This, crazyguy, is a humanistic, jealous, reward vs. punishment, experimental attemlt at controlling society and existence...hell pavlov had similar results! OUCH!

• jam
    jam

crazyguy: so that would be Holy jealousy, right. So what the

hell is Sinful jealousy.

• Suspicious
    Suspicious

Jealous for the Pure Worship of Jehovah

“Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God.”—EXODUS 34:14.
    JEHOVAH describes himself as “a jealous God.” You may wonder why, since the word “jealousy” has negative connotations. Of course, God’s dominant quality is love. (1 John 4:8) Any feelings of jealousy on his part must therefore be for mankind’s good. In fact, we shall see that God’s jealousy is vital to the peace and harmony of the universe.
    2 The related Hebrew words for “jealousy” occur over 80 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. Almost half of these references are to Jehovah God. “When applied to God,” explains G. H. Livingston, “the concept of jealousy does not carry the connotation of a warped emotion, but, rather, of an insistence on the singleness of worship of Jehovah.” (The Pentateuch in Its Cultural Environment) Thus, the New World Translation sometimes renders the Hebrew noun “insistence on exclusive devotion.” (Ezekiel 5:13) Other appropriate renderings are “ardor” or “zeal.”—Psalm 79:5; Isaiah 9:7.
    3 Man was created with the capacity to feel jealous, but mankind’s fall into sin has resulted in a distortion of jealousy. Nevertheless, human jealousy can be a force for good. It can move a person to protect a loved one from bad influences. Moreover, humans can properly show jealousy for Jehovah and his worship. (1 Kings 19:10) To convey the correct understanding of such jealousy for Jehovah, the Hebrew noun may be translated “toleration of no rivalry” toward him.—2 Kings 10:16.

More found in the w95 9/15 - Jealous for the Pure Worship of Jehovah

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Thanks suspicious! Shows how um, indifferent the holy v regular jealousoes are loo

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The Hebrew word qanna is used here and means “jealous.”

To gain the proper sense of this word, the best definition is

“exacting exclusive devotion; intolerant of rivalry”

(Webster’s New International Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1954).

In other places, the Hebrew word qana is used, which mean “zealous.”

This is defined as “Filled with, characterized by, or due to zeal;

warmly engaged, or ardent, esp. in behalf of an object; zealous service.

JEALOUS, JEALOUSY
    As used in the scriptures, the word jealous has two meanings:

(1) to be fervent and to have sensitive and deep feelings about someone or something,

(2) to be envious of someone or suspicious that another will gain some advantage.

To have fervent feelings
    I the Lord am a jealous God:Ex. 20:5; ( Deut. 5:9; Deut. 6:15; Mosiah 11:22; )
    I will be jealous for my holy name:Ezek. 39:25;
    I am jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion:Zech. 1:14;

To be envious or suspicious
    Jealousy is the rage of a man:Prov. 6:32–35;
    Akish began to be jealous of his son:Ether 9:7;
    Strip yourselves from jealousies and fears:D&C 67:10;

• prologos
    prologos

1) compare the vigilence of a husband or wife to identify predatory intruders into the family 'safe zone', and acting to repell them,-- as proper jealousy

to

2) the keniving manipulation to dislodge a 'serving' perhaps even deserving servant from his position.

destructive jealousy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit