Does anyone know what a tidal bore is

by Truthseeker677 41 Replies latest social relationships

• talesin
    talesin

You must have seen some amazing Aurora Borealis displays! It *can* be seen here in the East, but the displays I've witnessed (twice, how blessed am I? smile) were nothing like the ones further north. I have not been to the far north, but would love to go visit friends there in Yellowknife, someday. (I do not have the new names either, no disrespect intended to the Inuit people).

• prologos
    prologos

The tidal heights in the bay of fundy are mighty, but the incoming wave, at the end , like Moncton, is often only a foot high and brown not ocean-blue, that is why it's called a bore, boring, but kidding aside, it is not a wave with up and down movement, but

a VERY TURBULENT front of water advancing with more water behind it. like the walls closing in on the Egyptian army in the fairy tale of Exodus.

For the real thrill, dont go to St John even with it's tidal Reversing Falls, google China's river tidal bores smashing in, and google the surfers riding them, or surfing the tidal bore in the Amazon delta.

Even waves on some beaches become bores, after the second break, what surfers call the "soup" bubbly water not waving put like a moving terrace hitting the beach.

one of the rewards of life

look at the tsunami videos, It came in as a series of ~7 WAVES, rotating energy only, often across oceans, but ended up as a bore, a moving mass of lifted, but basically level water.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

The norther lights .They truly are incredible the aboriganals or inuit say they can hear them. Its kind of freaky.

• prologos
    prologos

Yes you can hear them,

a sound like crumpling dry paper. and

they are waving.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

You all have seen some amazing sights!

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

when you see a great display of the Northern lights it will leave you speachles. It truely is something everyone on this planet should see.

• talesin
    talesin

Agreed. It is one of nature's wonders ........... the ones I saw were like curtains, waving in the wind .....

The tidal bore can reach heights of 8 feet in one of the rivers here, but yeah, it's generally less than a foot high in most places. Even so, it's amazing to see this wall of water racing *up* a river.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

Why my mother and father ever got in to this cult religion I can't explain. I don't hate them for it , it just leaves me wonderig?

• prologos
    prologos

talesin, thank you for describing that I forgot that

it does, --not too-- fast move UP-river therefore up-hill, not quite

up the magnetic hill though.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

You all know the magnetic hill is and was an optical illuison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit