Studied with JW grandma for 3 years and went to meetings, I have now seen the light!

by yogosans14 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

You are proof that the WT doctrines are not working! Thank God you made your way out!

Wish you a very happy future.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome yogo , you saw the TATT at 17 years of age , I thought I had gained the truth at 19 and was a captive for 33 years , silly me.

Get a hold of the" Kingdom Interlinear of The Christian Greek Scriptures" published by the WTB&TS and check out John 1:1 .The word for word translation says " In the beginning was the word and the word was God " referring to Jesus the Logos. It does not say" and the word was a God"

Interestinly the authourity they quoted about that time to justify using the indefinite article "a" lambasted the WT for being dishonest and quoting him out of context and demanding an apology.

Use the search button at the top of the page to expand your mind about the so called truth.

smiddy

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Welcome, Yogo and thanks for sharing your story. You are a wise young man. You have a great story, and I hope you will stick around. Is God going to use you to reach your JW family?

My story is similar to yours in a way. My husband and I studied with the JW's as adults, but as soon as we began examining the JW religion itself, we had to quit lying to the "friends" at the KH. Sadly, my parents and sister (along with her husband and 2 kids) got sucked into the organization. My sister now shuns me for "turning my back on Jehovah." This has caused all kinds of drama in our family of 5 daughters, with only one JW sister "wrecking" the whole dynamic we once enjoyed.

What has been your JW family and grandmother's reaction, to your "abandoning the truth?" Just curious.

I wish you all the best, and congratulate you on using your free will and examining the scriptures with an AWAKE mind. Thank God, you were RESCUED from this controlling group! (I believe I was too... although I am still surrounded by them, and currently have on calling on me again)

I have also gone on to be baptized in a Baptist church. My family and I are now the brunt of judgment from my JW sister (completely indoctrinated). She has "cast us out," but does not offer any explanation for this decision to ex-communicate me. The JW's have divided our once happy family, and I have been put in this awkward place in between. I've come to believe there is a reason for everything, and I am not taking it personally. In order for me to have compassion or take any action against the infiltration of this mind-controlling cult, I have had to have my family tree "shaken" quite a bit.

I wish you all the best, and I look forward to hearing more from you. You are wise beyond your years, and I do think that God uses people like you for His purpose. Your words here could be helping someone. Please do stay!

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"noticing contradictions in the JW doctrine like when Jesus said MANY would dine with the patriachs in the Kingdom of Heaven (yet only 144,000 Jws can) which would seem odd considering the fact he adressed this to more then the apostles."

Well, you really can't put much faith in what Jesus said.

He also said he would appoint a faithful and discreet slave.

You should not be taking the scripture you cited and many others literally. The patriarchs won't even be in heaven.

• zebagain
    zebagain

Lovely to hear from one so young.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Welcome! Enjoy the ride and don not be afraid to challenge your belief, test all things and follow the evidence wherever it takes you.

• kepler
    kepler

Yogosan14,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. I admire your courage, analytical thinking and decency in your approach to difficult problems. And it is especially encouraging that you are taking an assimilative approach vs. the one which condemns all other paths of faith and disregards any other good will.

I cannot give you advice on these matters in an absolute sense. I think I've got a lot to learn still myself. But I do believe that God places us on this earth so that we will learn and help others. So with that in mind, I would just like to say a few words about the Bible.

One of the chasms between Protestants and Catholics, it would seem to me, is the notion of the Bible itself. And when we speak of the Bible we often use the words "Testament" and "canon". Subsequent to Martin Luther's protest, the expression "sola scriptura" has been added to the list of those terms in Protestant though - and subsequent to that the notion of "inerrancy". Once something has become "inerrant", then it becomes an important struggle either to interpret that inerrancy with authority or to provide the translation on which it is based. The Catholic view of the Bible was for a long time affected by the notion of a City of God on earth - and that the establishment of that city immediately followed Christ's sojourn on earth and resurrection signaling redemption. In the latter case, this has resulted in long periods of relative neglect, but also a fresh start when the Bible is looked at with new eyes.

Your own observations about the Bible are an illustration of looking at its words with fresh eyes.

So let's go back to the word "testament". This is what writers at a given time, either in collaboration or on their own recorded as their notion of man's relation to God. These are in turn the accounts our ancestors collected and stood by ( and elsewhere they gave their reasons or provided supplements) convinced of their authenticity, divine inspiration or else both. And these are the testaments that we turn to to begin our own examinations of concern to us: our relations to God and our obligations to our neighbors and family here on earth...

You are off to an excellent start in studying these matters. Keep up the good work. And don't be afraid to check your course now and then.

Best regards,

K.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Why to go young one, if your going to believe in the bible then your right the jw's got most of it wrong. I never believed in the trinity teach but what does it matter. The NT is all about Christ and through him one gets to God for a personal relationship. Keep reading and studying.

• yogosans14
    yogosans14

Hi @Rattigan, Im sorry you feel that way, I disagree with your position strongly but thats ok God looks at the heart not how much doctrine we understand. I will put my own input on this subject:

Prior to Christ’s resurrection, Luke 16:19-31 shows Hades to be divided into two realms: a place of comfort where Lazarus was (heaven) and a place of torment where the rich man was (hell). Lazarus’s place of comfort is elsewhere called Paradise ( Luke 23:43 ). The rich man’s place of torment is called Gehenna in Mark 9:45 . Between Paradise and Gehenna (the two districts of Hades) there was “a great gulf fixed” ( Luke 16:26 ).

Jesus is described as having descended into Hades after His death ( Acts 2:27 , 31 ; cf. Ephesians 4:9 ). At the resurrection of Jesus Christ, it seems that the believers in Hades (i.e., the occupants of Paradise) were moved to another location. Now, Paradise is above rather than below ( 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 ).

Today, when a believer dies, he is “present with the Lord” ( 2 Corinthians 5:6-9 ).Also Luke 16 is not a parable, it mentions 2 people by name. Jesus parables never do.

• yogosans14
    yogosans14

Also look at this Scripture:It says WHEN he ASCENDED ON HIGH (into heaven) he led captive a captive of Hosts (The OT saints who were in Abrahams Bosom). The Bible says we are a TRI PART being, we are made in the image of the Trinity. Paul says we are Body, Soul and Spirit. Our Spirit does not die. The Jews at Jesus time (besides the saducees) believed in a afterlife. The Early Church strongly believed in an afterlife, the JW take out of context the passage in thesslonians that talks about the "great apostaty" to somehow prove they are the only "true" sect of Christanity.

Ephesians 4:8

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

8 Therefore [a] it says,

“ When He ascended on high , He led captive a host of captives , And He gave gifts to men .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit