I don't find this stuff amusing anymore

by sparrowdown 26 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

Joe134cd, you remember a DO who asked sisters with crying babies to leave? We had one do that and he faced the wrath of my wife after the session!

• hoser
    hoser

I heard talks on two different occasions by two separate speakers describe my life to a t. I don't know if they were trying to shame me into compliance or use my life as an example to tell the sheeples what not to do. Either way I am aware of how these manipulative tactics are used and they didn't affect me in the slightest.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sparrowdown - "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."

You found it amusing before?

Seriously, though; the older I got, the more rankled I felt at the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) disdain displayed towards individuals who just couldn't quite fit the WT template.

I'm not sure if it was always that way, or if it just got slowly and steadily nastier as time went on (leaning toward the latter, though), or if I just got more sensitive towards that sort of thing as I aged...

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Clapping for Sparrow!!!! Agree with you totally and LOVE that you showed (gasp) unconditional love Right Out In Public!

(((hugs)))

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The WTBTS has some of the most ignorant speakers. I hear of very few speakers who receive counsel from local Elders for offensive speech. The only ones I have ever heard about are younger, gung-ho brothers who have not "made their bones" yet. Once you make the big-time, you can be an ass, like Brother Mac. His talk was bombastic and inaccurate. Will he recieve counsel from JEHOOBER? NO.

Then you have the " local talent/B teamers" who will NEVER make the circuit or district level. They are just as stupid, but the friends let it go and try to focus on the information instead of the boredom of the talk. The problem is that the information is bad as well. So the whole WTBTS speaking program is the dumbest on Earth when you think about it. At the highest to the lowest level, biased, prejudiced, bigoted, and false information is presented without harldy any consequences. Remember " Stay Alive till 1975!"???

I made a comment about Bro. Mac's talk. Some were saying how it was "baptist preacher-like", and I said , " Isn't it prejudiced and inaccurate to say that "Worldly" people are materialistic? Worldly means non-JW, so was he saying that ALL non-JWs are materialistic and judge based on material assets?" They said, " Well, that's not totally true, but the delivery was nice and enthusiastic." I said, " OH!! That's great! It's ok to thousands of people wrong information as long as the delivery is good.." [crickets....]

DD

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

This kind of self-righteous 'preachin' confirms the bias that good Jehovah's Witnesses are better than everyone else in town.

The facts prove otherwise.

And any woman who comes into 'the Truth' with a sketchy past will always be looked down upon.

ginger

• twice shy
    twice shy

It's not amusing is it. Makes you wonder who in the congregation just went to the Elders for counsel and the Elder assigned a spiritually weak label to them.

Im learning that they will take someone's private business and make a talk or several talks over weeks about it. Mock them all through the meeting until they've sucked the last bit of hope and spirituality out of them while mentally tossing them out like a sheap without a shepard. And my favorite: how they will have the other Elders, their wives, and/or the ministerial servents gear all their comments to whatever point they want to make and how they will make it tie into the lesson. UGGGH

Being going through it so long and hearing all the negativity that engulfs it week in and week out that that you are actually programed to see everything else bad. You forget about the joy and comfort you are supposed to be receiving from hearing the scriptures.

They are worse than the false comforters spoke of in Job.

• wasblind
    wasblind

True account

17 year old baptized youth gets pregnant

Instead of her parents love that should have

" Covered a multitude of sins "

The 17 year old is disfellowshipped and shunned

17 year old moves in wit friends of baby's daddy

have two more kids by babies daddy

Now in her early 20's, three kids, no job skills

and no support from babies daddy

This young woman has to grovel and return to the Kingdom Hall

for parental support

It's a cryin' shame

that any mistakes made or lies told by the Governing Body of Boobs

can be excused as " imperfect humans "

But as for the now single mom , like in the OP,

I guess she's now looked upon as a failer

When all it woulda took to avoid further hardship on this young lady

Is love and the ability to understand she too is an imperfect human

trynna make sense of this life

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

wasblind - "This young woman has to grovel and return to the Kingdom Hall for parental support..."

Believe me, authoritarian regimes absolutely love having members like that, whilst simultaneously feeling disdain for that selfsame individual.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think this talk would have been better and a little more appropriate on denouncing promiscuous sexual relations on the premise

of using sex as a luring vehicle to obtain a life partner. Many young girls behave in this manner only to find later on that the

allured boy friend leaves and doesn't really want a long term commitment, but unfortunately sometimes these brief relationships

resolve into a baby being born .

The moral of the story is to carefully contemplate when your considering making or moving a relationship into one that involves

sexual intimacies.

I've seen so many people marry, particularly JWS, who married out of guilt and not true love, admiration and respect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit