I don't find this stuff amusing anymore

by sparrowdown 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I would just like to get this off my chest.

During the public talk last sunday the speaker (Bro Holden M'Groin) said in public talk:

" if you ask any 16yr old girl what she wants out of life, she would probably say a home, a family etc etc" (because obviously this is still 1955).

Anyway that got my attention I thought " hmm....where is he going with this?".

Bro Holden M'Groin goes on

"let's say you meet the same girl at age 30 and by that time she has three kids to three different fathers is struggling to make ends meet and is depressed with a drug problem and you think to yourself what happened?. But the truth is bro's and sis's nobody intends to become a failure".

I thought " am I taking crazy pills, did I just hear correctly?"

I never did figure out what the point was. I switched off again.

What makes this incredibly insensitive gaff worse is there is a young woman about 30ish with her three kids to yes, three different Daddies sitting front row, centre probably wishing the floor would swallow her whole.

I doubt whether this guy knew that, but still why would you take the chance of offending someone, what with all the "blended families" there are these days. And what 16yr olds has he been talking to? The 16yr old Mrs Brady, Mrs Cleaver, Mrs flinstone, Julie frigging Andrews before she finds the Von trap family.

I gotta get outa this place, if it's the last thing I ever do.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Bro Holden M'Groin! I remember him!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oh yeah and another thing I had to share with the world (JWNworld)

I saw a disfellowshipped girl in the supermarket yesterday and I walked right up to her ( had to, she was standing in front of the frozen food section and I wanted a pizza). Anyway I smiled said a friendly hello, nice to see you she looked worried at first but then when she saw I was friendly she visibly relaxed and smiled back an we chatted for a few minutes. I walked out of there feeling so "screw you WT".

I am just so bad ass these days!

• Laika
    Laika

Good work Re the dfed girl!

At my last assembly a brother told a story about a girl getting raped in a dark road after a night out walking home alone. The talk was on soundness of mind and this was his example of someone showing a lack of soundness of mind. (the irony!)

In a room of 900 people, where statistically many girls had been raped, I was appalled.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Its funny how the simple everyday pleasures of civil society such as talking to an old friend or wishing someone a happy seasonal holiday become BADASS when youre out mentally!

Crazy situation eh?

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

What an idiot.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I hear you! I think I'd rather stab myself in the eyes than listen to one of those talks again.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I know they take someone from the KH and use them as an example how not to live ones life!

It was always a shocker,and the talk is geared to warn young adults!

Granted they get outlines for talks, but elders need to fill in the blank. I think it is just awful how they secretly stir up hate and prejudice between members.

Anyhow it not Christian to use brother or a sisters past sins against them. Jesus would never give such a sermon!

Your not the only who went home feeling mad!

The only way you get out is to walk out and never go back! That is what I did.

• steve2
    steve2

AMy god! You didn't!! You spoke to a lowly

outcast?! How could you soil the earth upon which you dare to stand? I'm truly shocked by your brazen conduct. Shame! No, worse: Double shame. Hang your head in shame for treating an outcase as though she were on the same level as you. Next thing you'll be arguing she's entitled to the same rights as you. At this rate you'll soon be welcome to the human race!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I knew a DO who used to order mothers out of the assembly hall who had crying babies. What a prat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit