I made my daughters cry last night.....

by Ugottabefresh 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ugottabefresh
    Ugottabefresh

...when I told them I didn't believe anymore. They cried like I'd never seen before. My oldest, 10, pleaded with me that she'd do anything to get me to keep going to meetings ("I'll get A's on my report card!"). I am truly heartbroken: they're putty in my hands.

It's not like I want out so I can party (although some weed would be very nice ;) ) and I told them I'd always respect their beliefs, still their reaction was devastating.

sigh.....

• Viviane
    Viviane

Same things happened when I told my kids years ago. Now, they laugh at how ridiculous it all is. Keep hope and work with them. It will work out somehow.

• Divergent
    Divergent

It's good that you told them that you would always respect their beliefs. Opposing them would have a reverse effect & cause them to be even more strongly entrenched in their faith

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Tell them not to worry.

Remind them that Jehovah reads hearts, and that you are doing what you really, really believe is right and that Jehovah knows this.

Jehovah knows you are a good person who is trying to do the right thing, trying to always tell the truth. They know Jehovah is good and loving and reads hearts, they don't need to worry. Because you are still a good person and will always be a good person and you will always tell the truth...

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Ugggh. I feel your pain. My advice for what it is worth, go very slowly. Make sure they know without a doubt that you love them. Be a good person and be the best father you can be they will come around.

I have always been very close with my daughter, closer than most Dads. I stopped going to meetings several years ago. She goes with her mother. Things were ok until a couple of years ago, she is now in her mid-teens (a difficult time in any parents life) and will soon be getting baptized.

I don't really have a problem with baptism in general, however I do have a big problem with baptism into this organization. This means I will have to go to a circut assembly, my first in several years, to be there for her.

Believe me, I am NOT looking forward to this at all but she needs to know I will always be there for her, and I will. Even if I don't want to.

Just remember you are still their father, they will still love you. I think it is best just to do a good fade and not get the whole DF thing mixed in.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Give it 4 months... children adjust quickly to things.

If there is not another parent pulling them in another direction that is.

My daughter instantly said she was ready to give up on jehoober after about 8 days of me telling her

• twice shy
    twice shy

These must have conversations with the kids are a bit hurtful yet liberating. I, too, had to speak with my children, but I'm out and had been working overtime to get back in for almost a year.

The route I took was asking them how it felt to become and be ANNOUNCED an unbaptized publisher and how exciting it was to take that "spiritual" step forward? They were all smiles with excitement. Then I reminded them if something were to come up they could quite possibly be announced as no longer being an unbaptized publisher. They all gasped and frowned as they were working towards baptism as well. I told them just like they announce you...ifyou fall short they will unannounce you. We also talked about Elders hating on some friends, having favorites, and how they could be envious too. We talked in depth about the lack of LOVE that's shown in the hall too. I saw the lights go on.

Because the bible said where two or more of you are joined together in my name there I will be also; I gathered them together and we prayed to Jehovah asking Christ to pettition him on our behalf as he knows our hearts and could he please remember each one of us so that we would be with him in paradise if it actually becomes a reality. We all said Amen and left.

It was a good feeling. Kids didn't miss going out in service or having to study for the upcoming meeting tonight. My heart goes out to you and your family.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

They both cried their eyes out, the oldest is 10 and she said she'd get A's on her Report Cards for you "come back to Jah"

By know means making fun of your offspring Ugottabefresh, but just think back to what you thought was the "gospel" at 10 years old, have no idea how old you are or if your male or female, but just look at the Beliebers who follow that idiot like their next breath depended on it, and I'm sure you've seen the newsclips of all the hysterical girls screaming at the latest moptops from England back in the 1960's.

It's like parents who for the first time hear "I hate you" or words to that effect from their firstborn, it tears them apart but then when the other kids that came along say that it's like " thank you, go clean your room".

• Bella15
    Bella15

Wow, I am really surprised at this and not at the same time really, it shows how their brains are wired up at such early age. No child at this age should react like this I think, the Gospel is so different, it is for mature people, yes you get to love God and Jesus at this age but to feel like that wow, I really feel for you and your children. It is fear what they are experiencing too. Sad, but be strong, and show them how to practice real love for each other and mankind.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

So sad that this cult we were in does this to small innocent children I'm sad that your going through this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit