What JW beliefs did you used to hate trying to defend?

by DuvanMuvan 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i hated giving an explanation as to why i didn't celebrate birthdays especially when i was a child. Also i hated explaining what the sign of his presence was so i avoided it. King of the north wasn't great either especially in primary school. We were studying the book your will be done, i think it was called, green book, at home as a family. I had to witness to my classmates.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

Why the new world translation is different from all other translations.

Jesus dying on a stake, not a cross.

Jehovahs permitting suffering.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

Why the new world translation is different from all other translations.

Jesus dying on a stake, not a cross.

Jehovahs permitting suffering.

• 88JM
    88JM

I always had trouble defending the need for an organized religion - I never really felt Hebrews 10:24, 25 was enough to justify a huge corporate structure like the JW's. I met very well-read people in the ministry who were happy being free to believe what they wanted, and didn't see the need for a religion to tell them what to believe. I just couldn't argue with that, and never felt it was my place to be the master of someone elses faith.

• sir82
    sir82

I could usually come up with a pseudo-Biblical line of reasoning for Christmas, cross, blood, etc. but I always got tied in knots trying to explain why we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. What possible scriptural reason can there be for not picking one day in particular to give thanks?

I similarly got tangled when asked about why JWs don't contribute to or support charities. Somehow "the permanant solution to XYZ problem is God's kingdom" didn't really answer the question about "how can you not work to relieve hunger / housing shortage / poverty / etc. when people are suffering now?"

• bigmac
    bigmac

i rarely ever met anyone on the door to door work who was remotely interested enough to start a debate. just as well really--i hadnt much idea of what i believed.

if asked by someone why i didnt celebrate xmas/bdays etc--i just replied "its my religion"---that used to shut them up.

very few people in the UK could give a toss about religion---they are far more interested in football.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Birthdays.

Blood.

The generation thing must be a headache now.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Trying to defend the section of Genesis where lot would allow his girls to be raped...then why he would allow incest to happen...then hearing the WT hold him up as an example to imitate the faith of!

Seriously!...he is an example???

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Trying to justify why we thought that JWs were the only religion God approved of.

All of the explanations from the WT seemed kind of flimsy to me, even as a kid.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I was a superdub until I got DF'd and learned TTATT, I defended every teaching with zeal and faith. As soon as I learned TTATT while I was DF'd, I stopped defending any teaching to my non-JW parents. They told me all along it was a cult, turns out they were right. I stopped defending the shunning policy to them.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit