Anyone been watchtower conductor

by Saltheart Foamfollower 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

I think there is a good chance I'm going to be asked to be the watchtower conductor. On the one hand, I'll find it quite difficult some weeks having to go along with what is written. On the other hand, there'll be opportunities to ask controversial questions (within limits). Has anyone here taken the watchtower whilst knowing TTATT and how did you cope? Any other suggestions definitely welcome.

The (not so) pure one

• designs
    designs

I was, you can turn it into a good study by asking questions. Hope the BOE lets you have some latitude.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I conducted the watchtower study® (oxymoron) before I knew the WBT$ was a cult. It was boring.

After I stepped down as an elder once I knew TTATT I gave student talks with lil hints in.......no one got it...they thought I was referring to other religions....ugh!

• Decided
    Decided

For about ten years, 50 years ago. All I can remember is on Sat. underlining the WT answers and the ones at the KH reading thier underlining after the question was read, then someone reading the WT. paragraph to the cong.

Ken P.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'll find it quite difficult some weeks having to go along with what is written.

Then you shouldn't do it.

I know what you're thinking, because I've been there. But you are only delaying the inevitable. You simply cannot teach people to "wake-up" by being a stealth apostate.

For the last few years I was an elder, but also part of the conscious class, I gave dozens of public talks and hundreds of meeting parts. I never once spoke about a doctrine I disagreed with, but only spoke on subjects that I still believed. I quit giving certain outlines. I tried to sprinkle in little comments here and there to encourage others to think for themselves. No one ever commented about my changes, no one! Not my own wife, not my fellow elders.

So either they didn't notice, or they were afraid to talk to me openly about it.

Either way, I wasn't helping anyone else and was only torturing myself while delaying the inevitable changes I needed to make.

You should read BU2B's recent thread about a talk he gave in the TMS:

You can hear a recording of it here:

BU2B's TMS Talk

He gave what is essentially a covertly apostate talk and yet no one noticed, not even the TMS Overseer. JWs under the influence only hear what that want to hear.

Unless you make overt, explicitly open statements disagreeing with the WTBTS, everything you say will be interpreted by the friends as confirming what the WT says. If you think otherwise, it's only because you don't yet grasp the power of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance on True Believers.

- -

• DJS
    DJS

I agree with Oubilette. I occasionally conducted the WT and was the shool overseer for several years. I also gave more public talks than the other elders because people thought I was good at it. Once it became apparent to the BOE that I was becoming disillusioned with the Borg's controlling nonsense I think they watched me closely and probably began limiting my availability for public talks, etc. Which was a good thing. I'm transparent. I'm not a good actor. I couldn't contain my revulsion for the Borg's nonsense, and others saw it.

If you are a good actor, even if you can control your derision for all things Borg, sooner or later someone is going to question your loyalty. They won't likely discuss it with you, but they will discuss you behind your back. These will typically be other elders. You likely won't like the results, and neither will your family and those close to you. These are things, if you are a currently serving elder, you should already know and have experienced or seen at your congregation and others.

Move along. Quickly and quietly.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DJS, You make some really good points that balance the other side of what I was saying, thanks!

As a JW, if we try to make covert, subtle comments to help others "wake-up," one of two things will happen:

1. No one notices (or at least no one comments)
    2. People do notice

In the first case, your efforts are wasted. You're only deluding yourself and possibly confusing others.

In the second case, you'll more than likely find yourself sanctioned as an elder, probably end up being removed and possibly (if you fight it or resist in any way) get disfellowshipped.

Think this through. How do you think this is going to turn out. Where do you see yourself in 2 years, 5 years, 10?

At some point you need to rip off the band-aid.

Do it!

At some point you need to start making real, substantial changes. What are you waiting for? Really?

Now is as good a time as any. Sooner is usually better than later, just proceed carefully and with caution. A smooth, controlled fade can be accomplished and has the potential for the least fall-out. Although some (those with minimal or no family in the organization) just quit going.

YMMV.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Thanks for the advice - I know that making subtle comments doesn't work. In the past I've tried to get some to at least start thinking about what they believe - I once mentioned that the 14th century fit the description of the last days (then went on to disprove it of course) and had at least one brother discuss it with interest afterwards. Although he is still at meetings, he gives evidence that he knows what is really going on. If I do take the job, I would try to gradually educate some to "prove" what they are saying, which then gets them to think. It wont work with many, but if I can help one to escape it would be worth it.

I'm not ready to exit or even fade yet as it would cause too many family problems. One elderly relative seems to have dementia and the upset could prove fatal, so I will wait until the natural course of events happens (that sounds heartless - I am just being vague to protect my identity. I will be devastated when it happens)

• lrkr
    lrkr

I have done it before. It is tough. You're supposed to cover all of the detail in the paragraph, get people to think, not make it boring and engage multiple people in the audience- not just the same 3 people. Oh- and you have to stay paced and on time- not rushing at the end.

Also- doing the WT really gives you a lesson in the "head fakes" in the articles. "This article is about how everything we should do should be for love of Jah"- then never mentions that again- turns out to be about how we have to work hard to get into the New System!

Very monotonous and draining if you do it week after week.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

In my heart of hearts I cannot fathom why you would accept this "privilege"!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse point blank to to do anything which I know is corrupt and against the Scriptures, e.g. giving out invitations for conventions/memorial/JW.ORG and placing literature which is blatantly lying to "the faithful", let alone the unwary public!

Just reject the 'invitation' by saying "No thanks, I really couldn't cope with such a responsibilty, but thanks for thinking of me." And stick to your guns!

If you become the WT Conductor, you are going to put your conscience through hell!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit