Congregation Contributions

by nolongerconfused 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

Do you guys remember when the congregation's monthly contribution report was read out loud in the service meeting? Obviously, they don't do that anymore... Does anyone here know why exactly they stopped reading the report publicly?

Seems fishy to me

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

They're supposed to read it every month. That's one announcement that have to do. It's the accounts report. Additionally, that report should be posted on the information board for all to see.

• Londo111
    Londo111

They eliminated the annoucements, didn't they?

• hoser
    hoser

I think it had to do with eliminating the book study on a separate night

• fakefading
    fakefading

I was recently the accountant and the report says it has to be read every second week of every single month. The accountant is responsbile for printing a copy and giving it to the person who has the first talk in the KM. If they're not doing it in your KH then the accountant is not doing his job but neither is the PO.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I was doing the accounts 4 years ago and I was always given the announcements on the service meeting where the accounts report was to be read. When the announcements were eliminate to gain time for the combined bible study a copy of the accounts report was posted on the congregation information board...that may have changed since then...

• jgnat
    jgnat

They better be careful with that. There may be requirements of the host country to publicly announce the accounts to remain a charitable organization. My church has an annual general meeting with elections for board members.

• emeth
    emeth

@nolongerconfused you must be confused. Financial reports are still read once a month and are also at the information board

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The rule has swung back and forth like 'the truth' itself!

Now they are supposed to read it monthly, then post it on the notice board

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm actually confused about this, because I distinctly remember hearing a few years ago that the accounts report was no longer going to be read from the platform (when they collapsed the announcements into the first SM part, as NVR2L8 mentioned), but the congregation I'm in usually seems to read the accounts report. At first I thought it was only because they were low on funds and desperate, but the last report was actually quite in the black, so I'm wondering if there was a reversal shortly after the Society first said the accounts were no longer going to be read to the congregation.

Edit: Thanks stuckinarut2, I guess it's not my imagination that the rule was changed. I remember basically saying at the time the accounts report was supposed to not be read, "Well that's a terrible idea." I'm not surprised if they issued a reversal based on a general outcry by the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit