Told my JW friend it's a cult

by Xanthippe 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

So I said I would write about the 2014 convention program that you guys kindly posted here, to the JW friend who contacted me out of the blue after over 20 years since we D'ad. Sorry if you find this repetitive if you have already read my story. This friend does not know anything about how my family shun me and I thought it is relevant in the light of the convention symposium talk about putting family in second place. Thought I would post it on here just in case it might help someone.

So after chit chat I said :-

I’ve been taking a look on the JW official website JW.org, have you looked on it much? If you put 2014 convention in the search box you can see the program.

There is a symposium on the Friday afternoon called, What must be kept in Second Place? I’ve underlined it because it is in italics, for emphasis I suppose.

Apparently what must be kept in second place for a JW now is recreation, eating and drinking, concerns about health, courtship and weddings, family ties, material pursuits.

Now if (my daughter) came home from uni this weekend and said she’d joined a group that told her she had to put the group before her family, her health and eating, well what would I think? I would think she had joined a cult! I would tell her to get away from those crazy ideas. I’ve printed out the pages for Friday for you because I thought you might not believe me. You can print it out yourself as a pdf if you want on JW.org.

I know you are now thinking, oh they don’t mean it that way. They do (friend’s name), they really do insist you put your religion before your family, for example. My family don’t associate with me since I left the religion. The first time my sisters set eyes on (my daughter) was when my mother died.

(my daughter) came to the funeral, she was nine, her aunts, uncles and three cousins were strangers to her.

We then had to meet to do my father’s funeral four months later and then sort out their house. After that they dropped me. When (my husband ) died one sister and my brother came to his funeral, then a few weeks later they dropped me, again.

This is what this religion means by putting family ties in second place. Sadly, to me, this is not a loving Christian way to behave. They will tell you at the convention that it is an act of love to bring people back. Nonsense! After 25 years I am never going back, my family knows this. So why not associate with and support this widow and fatherless child? Because they are terrified I might say something to shake their faith? I don’t even talk about it, ever.

(Friend), I only ever discuss religion with you because you bring the subject up. As for putting the religion before health concerns, well listen carefully to that talk because that really is frightening!

Well, my friend, I expect I shall not hear from you again now that you know I am never coming back. I have to say I was surprised when you started writing after such a long time. Be sure I know your motives are good and you want to save me from this wicked world to live in the New System. I worry about you in the same way, getting worn out and poorly working hard for something that isn’t true.

So we’re a fine pair then aren’t we! There’s nothing we can do to change the other and that’s how it should be. People have the human right of believing whatever they want, as long as it doesn’t harm others .

You sound as though you have many friends in the religion and therefore you are happy to stay. In that case, good for you, friends are important.

Well I hope you both keep well and happy. (Enjoy your holiday etc etc)

Love to you both

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Xanthippe - Once you told the JW the truth about the truth, it hit a nerve and he blocked out and dissociated from anything else you could have said to him in a logical way. In his heart he knows it's true. Who knows if something will occur in his life in the borg that will make him contemplate on some of these things you told him.

Shana

• Laika
    Laika

When I saw your thread title I thought 'that sounds like a bad idea' but now I've read your post and I was wrong. The best attempt to explain why the Watchtower's a cult that I have read on here.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Well written and compassionate letter to your JW friend, Xanthippe. I hope that she will continue to correspond with you. Unconditional friends are are more precious gold/diamonds. Conditional friends are like grains of sand.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

xanthippe wrote: Well, my friend, I expect I shall not hear from you again now that you know I am never coming back. I have to say I was surprised when you started writing after such a long time. Be sure I know your motives are good and you want to save me from this wicked world to live in the New System. I worry about you in the same way, getting worn out and poorly working hard for something that isn’t true.

Simple. Respectful. Honest. Direct.

Perfect. I love it.

Thank you for sharing this.

-Aude.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Xanthippe: Now if (my daughter) came home from uni this weekend and said she’d joined a group that told her she had to put the group before her family, her health and eating, well what would I think? I would think she had joined a cult!

Amen to that!

What a simple and powerful example of logic and reasoning.

I loved the way you ended the letter. Very loving and kind, but also realistic.

Oubliette

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Marking. I loved it.

• humbled
    humbled

Xan,

That letter is beautiful--everything is so clear and balanced. Kind.

It will stick in her mind, too. It sticks in mine.

Maeve

ps.The chicks are big! 2 are crowing. I put the brooder pen out under the veranda roof with a wire run. I hope your spring is coming along,too.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Told my JW friend it's a cult

................................................................................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Nice letter, you were clear and stated your case, but not in an offensive way.

I remember being in and hearing things like that and not questioning it at all. Of course we have to put Jehovah first, right? Not when, by Jehovah, the Watchtower means their own rules, requirements and priorities. So much guilt, thinking I was never doing enough, I finally just burnt out and gave up, the last several years I was just going through the motions, but still I did not question that that was what I should do, I just no longer could even try.

Freaking cult

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit