what is the best line to say to a JW handing you an invite to the memorial

by nonjwspouse 59 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

me: "So this Memorial celebration is about Jesus? Do you believe in Jesus?"

JW: "Oh, yes! Of course we do!"

me: "Do you try to follow what Jesus did?"

JW: "Oh yes!"

me: "Do you believe that Jesus died and gave his blood so that the whole world could live?"

JW: "Oh yes!"

me: "So, if Jesus gave his blood, why don't you?"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

If you were born in Jerusalem in Jesus' day, would you follow Jesus or the Pharisees and Sadducees?

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Sure! I'd love to join you in Denying Christ by passing him w/o partaking!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

"That would be like accepting an invitation to a dance where 99% of the guests are forced to be wallflowers."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Are you guys still doing it the way the satanists do it you know passing around the emblems and instead of partaking rejecting them. They call it a black mass what do you guys call it?
  • Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger
    I never attend a passing show.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

If the wine symbolizes Jesus' blood and you abstain from partaking of it, would it make a difference if they served wine fragments?

• rebel8
    rebel8
    thanks, i'll bring the cheez whiz
  • GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

John chapter 6?

• Island Man
    Island Man

What I find very striking about this year's invitation is its very unscriptural mode of appealing to the public. The invitation says:

"Millions will attend. Will you?"

This statement is an appeal to popularity. It is exploiting the "worldly" trait of "following after the crowd" to convince people to attend. By contrast, the bible shows that the scriptural means of getting people to attend is to highlight the great love Jesus showed by dying for sin:

(2 Corinthians 5:14, 15) . . .For the love the Christ has compels us, because this is what we have judged, that one man died for all; so, then, all had died; 15 and he died for all that those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up.

So given that the fallacy of appealing to popularity is a "worldly" trait often used by satan's commercial system when advertising, how could a scriptural organization which is supposed to be no part of the world be using such a shallow, fallacious, worldly tactic? It's proof positive that Watchtower is not really concerned with true spirituality. All they're concerned with is growing member$hip and they're willing to stoop to such tactics to do it.
    Have you also noticed how the memorial of Jesus' death has now become a tool for recruitment? How obscene! From the bible it is clear that the memorial is to be all about Jesus' sacrifice and what it means and should not be cheapened by obscenely using it as a recruitment tool.
    So here's how I would respond to getting the invitation:
    " 'Millions will attend. Will you?' Why does your invitation say that? Isn't that a fallacious appeal to popularity? Should the fact that millions attend, really influence my decision to attend? I would have to be a really shallow person to do something just to follow the crowd. So the fact that your organization printed that must mean that it is appealing to shallow people. I'm not a shallow person who follows after the crowd therefore your invitation is not for me. Furthermore, any organization professing to be christian and which would stoop to using such a tactic to attract people to the Lord's Evening Meal is definitely not the kind of organization I would want to have any dealings with."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit