My Mother-in-law's half JW and Half Apostate funeral

by Roberta804 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Her funeral was at 1pm today. They held it at a VFW hall where the service was upstairs and a meal downstairs. We all brought dishes to pass, so much food! Well there were about 40 JW's there, you could easily tell, they all their new Gray colored bibles in hand. The MS that gave the sermon did a fairly nice job, spent more time on my MIL than I have seen them do in the past. But they knew there were MANY apostates these. We all came in with wild hair, and googly eyes; Mentally ill you know. LOL. There were probably 10 or more apostates I knew of, and many relitives of different religions. Well my husband and I sat up front, every seat in back of us was taken. But after the prayer, all the JW's left, yes, LEFT. My husband and I looked back right after the closing prayer and they were all walking out, got in their cars and went. It left much for us apostates to explain to relitives and friends why, they couldn't believe it. They also put up a table in the back where everyone signed the memorial book with tons of JW lituture on it. Just piles of books, magizines, and such. I thought that was tacky. But all in all, it was nice to have a meal without the typical tension of who or WHAT was sitting next to you.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Roberta, I am glad your MIL had a decent "send off". I know it must have been stressful. (((Hugs))).

JW's are intentionally isolated and on instructions from "Headquarter's", act weird.

Thank goodness normal people are good and kind and charitable.

I am glad to hear you woke up 30 years ago. Smart Girl.

LoisLane

PS I hope your life calms down to where you can enjoy your canoe trips with your raccoons on board again.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Sounds as though things went fairly smoothly. JW'S can be an odd lot. But that was just more food for the rest of you!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Sounds like they made a great witness for the others that were there. Now many more humans will avoid JW's at all costs!

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Lois Lane,

Yep, it is getting to be that time of year again when baby racoons start appearing on my doorstep in boxes. I have been collecting canned formula, liquid morphine, and saline IV bags, tube and needles all winter long from Hospice nurses. Usually the babies I get have been without their mother for a day or two and are extreemly dehydrated or have been mulled by a cat or dog. Rocky, a male from three seasons ago, showed up on my porch mid February eating the cat food I put out for the wild cats. I put my hand on the window and he tried to touch me though the glass. I'm glad he, especially, made though another winter, he is my canoe partner, well, as long as I have marshmellows.

My MIL's funeral was bitter sweet. The snow is almost all gone and the ground is mushy and muddy. She so much enjoyed the spring and she would often come over to volenteer to feed some of the baby racoons; it gets to be quite a job at times when there are more mouths than I have hands. I am going to greatly miss her especially in the comming weeks.

I am gratfull that the JWs just came and left right away. I am choosing to look at it as a show of respect by allowing the family to grieve in peace, even though I know they are incapable of respect for others. I'm tired of the anger as it takes a lot of energy to maintain angry feelings. I don't have that kind of energy anymore. I think what occured today is a good place for me to let go in peace.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Rest up a bit. Take care.

ginger

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

I'm sorry for your loss. It sound like you had a good relationship with her.

• carla
    carla

I'm sorry for your loss.

The jw's left because the rest of the service was not officially jw? How could they just leave in the middle of it?

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

I am truly sorry for your loss and I admire your perspective on the events of the funeral.

i have an unrelated question for you though, do you take in baby raccoons? Do people bring them to you? I think that is wonderful for you to care for them but how do you handle them as they get older and more curious I know raccoons can get into pretty much anything they want too.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Roberta804 - "...after the prayer, all the JW's left, yes, LEFT."

Well, if they'd stayed, they might run the risk of finding out that a "worldy" funeral might be more comforting, spiritual, or uplifting than a WT-sanctioned memorial service.

Can't have that, you know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit