What did you do for St. Patrick's Day?

by Jeannette 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Did you have some green beer? Maybe some Scotch whiskey? I had both. Twice. I also baked a chocolate cake and chocolate icing, and put little green spice mints on top. and

• cantleave
    cantleave

Why Scotch whisky? Surely Irish is more appropriate.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There is even an Irish whiskey named, appropriately, Paddys ! I personally prefer Bushmills. Taken neat of course.

Anyone who joins in the celebration, from wherever in the World, is joining an illustrious group of famed drinkers and carousers who even the fun loving Phizzy cannot quite match. My beloved Irish friends have drunk me under the table a few times !

I have learned now how to pace myself without offending them , ending up after a long session having drunk less than half what they have, boy do they know how to party !

• cantleave
    cantleave

Phizzy I have learned to stick to the real ale when drinking with the Irish.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have issues with the cultural insensitivities (to put it nicely) of this holiday. Just to name one, binge drinking is not funny, respectful, or representative of an entire culture.

The alcohol industry has co-opted this family holiday for its own purposes, just as it has for Cinco de Mayo.

The fact that every time this holiday is discussed, binge drinking is a main topic, and it's taken lightly, makes me sick, to be honest. People die from this behavior. And I don't know why more Irish-Americans do not take issue with it. That, to me, is very sad.

St. Patrick wore blue, and he wasn't Irish...etc. I just wonder if we're celebrating something the alcohol industry cooked up, or what we're doing.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't have a problem with it, it's just like anything, if you just consider the negative aspects, you would never do anything, I had enough of that as a dub. I love all things Irish, and have a fair bit of Irish ancestry, I love Celtic music and step dancing, we go to the Irish festivals when we can. I don't go out drinking on that day because I don't like crowds and drunks, but our local pub had Irish food all weekend, so I had some Shepard pie on the Saturday before and I wore green on the 17th and called it good.

I went to the St. Patrick's parade in Denver once, it was amazing, seemed like it lasted all day.

Did you know there are more people in the US of Irish ancestry than people in Ireland?

• Heaven
    Heaven

I wore my green sweat pants and green cotton socks as I worked from home. The chocolate cake sounds good. I am not drinking much these days as it is not agreeing with me.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Rebel8;

Have you ever seen the debbie downer skits on Saturday Night Live?

Wife and I went to The Tilted Kilt bar, shot of Jameson, 2 green beers, and several other beers.

Had some kind of Irish stew to eat.

Wife combines bday celebration with this since her bday is the 16th.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Seriously? I've made 9600 posts on this forum and many of them are humorous. If having a negative opinion about one holiday makes me Debbie Downer, then guilty I am.

If you see people kill themselves and others from voluntary self-destructive behavior, and then see your culture being portrayed as that being its main feature, then perhaps you'll have a different POV.

I don't know of any other cultural festival currently celebrated where pointing out one of its most horrific weaknesses is hilarious and acceptable. hmmm.

I think Ireland is more than alcohol. It would be nice if most celebrations of this holiday centered around the many positive things about Irish culture. I wonder if anyone would partake then.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

In honor of St. Patrick I meditated and didn't drink a drop ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit