Just Saw StarWars Episode II

by Reborn2002 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Well I might as well chime in.

I think the love story had to be told, because it's important to the overall plot, which will come out next movie. But the dialogue between Anakin and Padme was the worst cliche-ridden crap I've ever been subjected to. They supposedly have an off-screen romance, but you sure couldn't tell by their chemistry on-screen.

Hayden Christensen (Anakin) had a tough job to do. He had to play the calm, cool Jedi-in-training; but he had to show the impatience and impetuousness that would lead to Vader; but he had to be the love-struck teen; but he had to fight try to squelch that love in favor of duty. That range of conflicting emotions would have been tough for any young actor, but when hampered by Lucas' God-awful dialogue, he didn't stand a chance. Some of it was painful to watch.

However, I didn't go to the theater to see Acadamy Award-winning acting. I went to see Acadamy Award-winning special affects, and to see the storyline moved along. I think they did that, and added a few twists that I wasn't expecting (the origin of stormtroopers and Boba Fett, etc...)

I'd give it a non-commital 2.5 stars out of 5. I would have bumped it to 3.5 stars if Yoda's scene had been longer, and the other fights a little more choreographed.

Hmmm

"I'm haunted by the memory of the kiss you never should have given me" [8>]

• messenger
    messenger

This movie sucked big time!

There I said it, all that waiting and hype?

Those duds who waited in line for five months? boy they look even dumber now.

I lasted for the first 30 minutes, kept falling asleep. The worst acting, worst script, worst directing, crappiest flying car chase scene, (falling 1000 feet then saying ho hum glad you caught me, TWICE?)Then there was the Porter girl, pretty but please don't pretend to be an actress, I guess they thought hairdos would compensate. It did not work. When her friend/lookalike is blown to hell, along with her space ship, she has an appointment in 5 minutes and some how she manages to get cleaned up and have a four hour hairdo that looks like a peacock having an orgasm on top of her head. I thought it was a comedy for a minute there. Why does she walk like she is killing roaches? Why couldn't the wormy thingys killed her in the first part of the movie, it would have been a mercy killing.

Bad movie, BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, MOVIE. Not only is the concept worn to a frazzel but they are so busy trying to create effects they forgot to make a movie. Who the hell thought up those names, a kindergarten class? bobo jojo momo dingding ling ling, GOD! let this dog die please!

Insomnia, is good not great, Why? Fingernails.... and I will leave it at that.

• logical
    logical

This is what I thought to Episode 2 after seeing it numerous times.

A little too cheesy. The opening scene looked so fake. It wasnt exactly realistic - also you could tell the droid obi-wan was hanging off was on string by the way it moved. The way obi-wan caught the lightsabre was so cheesy. Maybe I am too picky but its Star Wars and has a lot to live up to.

C3PO ruined the whole battle scene, he was good in the original trilogy but he is such a dick in AOTC. R2D2 gives him what he deserves, that was funny. However the cheesy remarks were NOT, especially in the battle scene on Geonosis.

Yoda was THE star of the film, all CGI and all class. His skills with a lightsabre are amazing.

Natalie Portman, as beautiful as she may be, could have at least tried to act in the film. Jake Lloyd (little Anakin) acted better in Phantom Menace. She managed to be convincing in a few scenes (the love scenes) but the rest she seemed like her heart wasnt in it. Maybe in SW3 they might do a CGI Padme?

The storyline was excellent, and more than made up for what the Phantom Menace lacked. Providing vital links between SW1 and the first trilogy, and also providing us with much to speculate on what episode 3 will contain.

The entire film as a whole was very good. It is a true Star Wars film in almost all ways and easily stands up to the originals. I rate it more than I rate Return of the Jedi. It just has a few annoying letdowns, but I doubt nothing can compare to A New Hope. That was a perfect film.

Now I gotta wait years for episode 3 and its gonna be such a long wait.

• Xander
    Xander

I don't know, I get the feeling cause the first three were so new, people overlooked the flaws

See, I think so, too. (I am a fan, btw, just not a REALLY BIG ONE - the movies are okay, I prefer the Star Wars PC games)

I think the reason people are usually disappointed with the 'new' movies is that they were HUGE, OBSESSED fans of the original trilogy, and had a very definate idea in mind about how the first three should play out (supported in no small measure by TONS of unofficial background material and books covering the period). As a result, when Lucas finally did the original movies, and it was different, people got pissed.

Of course, there is also the amateur film critics who like picking apart the acting, dialog, etc.

No, this is not the best movie ever made. I think, however, for 'pop' movies, it's certainly the best out this summer so far.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Hmmm
    Hmmm
    Of course, there is also the amateur film critics who like picking apart the acting, dialog, etc.

Oh god forbid we should want acting and dialog in a movie!

"I don't like sand. It's grainy, and coarse, and gets in your shoes, with grains between 0.06 and 2.0 millimeters in diameter... not like you... but both do consist of verying degrees of silicates--"

"I get the point, Anni"

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

After having seen AOTC last weekend, I was also a little disappointed with the finished product. Leaps and bounds better than Ep. 1, but still miles to go before it's as good as the original trilogy.

I think part of the problem might be that in the original episodes four through six, Lucas picked actors no one had ever heard of. Now, we've got folks like Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee, Sam Jackson and Jimmy Smits. These actors and great, but we've seen these guys before and we're familiar with them. I think that hurts these films somewhat. (BTW, why in the world was Jimmy Smits in this movie? I heard people actually groaning in the theater when he appeared!)

Did anybody else see Hayden Christensen in "Life As a House?" He had to tackle much weightier issues than the ones in AOTC (and with much better dialog ) and did a marvelous job. Looking forward to seeing him grow as an actor.

Brian

• dubla
    dubla

this review made me laugh out loud, and say "yep, exactly" quite a few times while reading it. aotc is old news, but i thought id post it anyhow:

aa

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    No, this is not the best movie ever made. I think, however, for 'pop' movies, it's certainly the best out this summer so far

Nope, Spider-Man is. As much as a huge Star Wars fan as I am, Spider-Man was the best so far.

• Derrick
    Derrick

Awesome is another word. This epoch struggle between the controllers, the controlled and the seductive powers of the Dark Side of the Force will probably remain a classic for generations to come. (Footnote - the GB might consider the ending a real bummer.)

Derrick

• Derrick
    Derrick

Didn't see the date on this thread.

(By the way, speaking of Spider Man, I heard the realistic video game is pretty cool and so I decided to splurge on it.)

Derrick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit