the circuit assembly

by thedog1 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Once you clearly understand TTATT, you will find the sessions almost shocking.

Good luck.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll give you my routine. A blank notebook is key. Make notes to yourself unrelated to the meeting. Go over the program and highlight the most outrageous talk. Pay attention to that one. I have written out an entire project plan during an assembly and no-one was the wiser.

• thedog1
    thedog1

So, just back from the circuit assembly. Sort of an odd experience as the content was not what I was expecting. Most of it was quite bible based. The part about strange teachings was one I expected to be about apostasy, but it wasn't. It dealt with the scriptural admonitions about sexual immorality, materialism and not being too prideful. Generally lots of solid advice in various talks in relation to following Jesus' teaching methods, helping others, and even the 'giving attention to the needs of the circuit' part, which often has the circuit overseer poinitng out the things that need working on, mostly dealt with being kind to others and strengthening our friendships in the cong. The only 'big stick' talk was on Saturday which was a BIG encouragement for everybody to pioneer. This talk was given by a bro in our cong who is a special pio., temporary circuit overseer, pretty nice guy and someone who puts his money where his mouth is. I thought the talk was still a bit of a guilt tripping device, though.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm glad you got through it and didn't have too difficult a time. Of course there is some good stuff talked about or many of us wouldn't have stayed as long as we did but overall, well, as you say, obeying the big stick to pioneer ruined my health.

• thedog1
    thedog1

Xanthippe, sorry to hear that obeying the pioneering push ruined your health. It contributed to many of my wife's problems as she pioneered for seven years and itmade her crack psychologically. She thought it was something she should do and as a very shy person, pushed herself until she could no longer do it. Now she has a huge social phobia and cannot go door-to-door. She lays the blame squarely on her attempts to live up the standards she thought she should follow.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm so sorry your wife is not well. I think if you are one of those people who, when they ask for volunteers, don't start looking around at other people but think could I do this it is very difficult to say no. When you think that I really believed that people would die without the preaching work, what else could I do? Do you think she is beginning to see what's really going on?

• thedog1
    thedog1

As has been mentioned on another thread about this circuit assembly, reference was made to a brother quoted in a WT article quite a few years ago about the danger of pride, who recounted how, whenever he thought he was feeling a bit proud of his own accomplishments, took himself off into a corner and told himself that he was only an insignificant speck of dust and shouldn't be exalting himself. Of course, for those who believe in a creator, then we are pretty insignificant in comparison. But in general I disagree with the idea of denigrating ourselves too much. There is a verse in the book of Romans, I think, which tells us 'not to think more of ourselves than it is necessary to think, but to think so as to have a sound mind.' We need to have a measure of self-confidence. I know witnesses who took that brother's comments, and if they were a natural depressive, would feel even worse about themselves. So we need to celebrate what we are good at. Sometimes we witnesses get down on ourselves too much. Must be all that guilt kicking in!

• thedog1
    thedog1

Xanthippe, I don't know if she is seeing what is really going on , but she does now see that too much is expected of some people who just can't do it. She was always more dedicated than me. She has a stronger faith. She really believes it is the truth but sees some of the holes. But she is SO guilty about the ministry as she gets physically sick if she tries to go. I have told her recently that all bets are off and it doesn't matter what the fallout is, that she does not need to feel she has to even try to go out if she is feeling ill. We conduct a bible study together so this keeps her going at the moment. But in the end, if it means my resigning as an elder to allow her to continue to feel sane, then I would do it tomorrow. The 'position' means nothing to me if it causes her more pain due to some 'expectations' of what an elder's wife should be doing.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The problem is once you get depressed as I did after becoming physically ill, your self esteem plummets. Then for a sister all she has left is the ministry to make her feel she is a worthwhile person. If she can't do that a woman gets more depressed and feels more worthless and round and round she goes, from my experience. I feel for you both.

• thedog1
    thedog1

Thank you for your kind comments. We are trying to work through this. My wife is such a talented person. A wonderful cook with a flair for inventing or adapting recipes. She is also a gifted seamstress who once thought of opening her own business handcrafting clothes. Now that we are in our 50's she has narrowed her life down to the house and garden and some outings for the meetings and some social outlets as her social phobia is quite severe. I try to validate all her other talents as she cannot get that validation from the ministry anymore. Thanks again for your expression of solidarity and human feeling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit