The Watchtower is under siege from inside and outside

by suavojr 26 Replies latest jw friends

• suavojr
    suavojr

That is the reason the Watchtower leaders are desperately trying to protect their indoctrinated supporters from being influenced by the critics.

It will get harder and harder to recruit in countries where the internet is easily accessible...the Watchtower has no control over the public like it does the indoctrinated JWs. ..any interested person can very easily google and learn the truth about the Watchtower cult before a 'return visit' can be made.

Although most JWs would be afraid to go into 'apostate ' sites, more and more are waking up to the truth about the Watchtower , their interest triggered by different reasons such as the child abuse cover up, the constantly changing doctrines,the downsizing etc. ..this is evident in sites such as Jehovahs-Witnesses.net which has newbies joining regularly,many of them being active JWs ...including elders and ministerial servants...these Awakened JWs of the Conscious Class are also doing a lot of damage to the Watchtower by undermining it from the inside in many ways including leaking important information on the Internet...whatever the case, the Watchtower is under siege from the inside and outside.

I hope we can one day say:

Say no to drugs and gods

• steve2
    steve2

Unfortunately, the seige mentality creates near perfect conditions for preserving the cult mentality - and becomes used as "proof" by the beseiged group itself that it must be the truth.

• designs
    designs

Religion plays on two main fears- death and socialized disappoinments. Everlasting death and Shunning in this case.

• DJS
    DJS

With the world wide web, any JW who truly wants to examine their relgion can come to a conclusion it is all BS within a few hours of earnest research. But they have cloaked eyes and read and digest only what they want, which is similar to many ex-JWs on this site who will only search for and read those bits of data which support their preconceived and prejudged viewpoints. And then stop, firmly satisfied about their beliefs. Unless and until JWs want to open their eyes and minds they will remain closed.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I'm doing my best, in the KH and in private conversations - ergo, I have Elders regularly, and blatantly, trying to eavesdrop on my conversations with certain ones at the KH!

Poor deluded pawns!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am shocked at the extent of the pedo problems. No wonder the GB need to lable the media as satanic. I imagine it will get much kookier as time passes.

DD

• Magnum
    Magnum

It will get harder and harder to recruit in countries where the internet is easily accessible...the Watchtower has no control over the public like it does the indoctrinated JWs. ..any interested person can very easily google and learn the truth about the Watchtower cult before a 'return visit' can be made.

I've been thinking, and I think have already mentioned on this forum, that it will be rare, if not dang near impossible, from now on for JWs to attract quality new ones (from the outside) and have them advance to the point of baptism. By "quality new ones", I mean just normal people with a decent dose of common sense and a decent dose of book sense.

I don't see any of that kind of people coming in now. I don't even see them getting to the point of coming to meetings or having Bible studies for any significant length of time. Also, some of those aleady in are having serious questions/doubts. I had a conversation with the only elder in my cong that I respect and found out he's got some issues with the current situation.

I don't believe any of us who were JWs would have become such if things were as they are now when we came in. It's just so much easier now to see the wrong doctrine, the failed prophecies, the underhandedness, the desire for control, etc. When I came in, it all seemed to make so much more sense.

The generation doctrine seemed to make sense (even though the seventy or eighty year limit we placed on the time period was actually a lifespan, not a generation). I now see that what I thought was so simple, for example, "abstain from blood", is not so simple, that when the whole context and the whole situation are taken into account, "abstain from blood" does not mean what I was told.

the Watchtower leaders are desperately trying to protect their indoctrinated supporters from being influenced by the critics.

True. That's why I and others here have referred to the situation as being like that in N Korea. The org is clamping down on free speech, labeling the media as being evil, etc. I think a lot of those poor N Koreans really believe that the outside world is all evil and they view their Great Leader as being almost like a superhuman savior. Their world is bleak, but they think their Great Leader is caring for them. Just like the situation with JWs. Their information is controlled, they think the world outside the org is evil, their situation is bleak, and they virtually idolize the GB.

note added in edit: After the great Bethel apostacy in the eighties information control was instituted in that meeting together in small groups to have Bible studies, discussions, etc. was discouraged because, I believe, such settings provide fertile ground for questions about org teachings and policies to grow. And after reading what some on this site have written, I believe that's at least part or the reason the Congregation Book Study arrangment was terminated; there was less control, questions could be discussed easier, etc. At the book study I conducted, I know for sure that people felt freer to ask questions. They would raise their hands during the study and ask questions. Now I think we're seeing a different level of control, with JWs being instructed to even be on guard against family members who say negative things. And who knows what kinds of information control policies/tactics will be instituted in the future.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

dang near impossible, from now on for JWs to attract qualitynew ones (from the outside)

That really is the point. It is already hard to recruit quality people. Any educated, thinking person is going to research prior to joining, in which case it is virtually impossible to fall for the false logic.

I have seen recent discussions with JWs online, and the answer to any question is "read jw.org" without any attempt to even reason on the subject. For instance, in one the thread went like this:

Q - How is it loving for a JW to shun disfellowshipped children? (see article on shunning)

JW A - We don't shun. Don't believe what hateful apostates say. Read jw.org

Q - See this Watchtower quote, which says you shun

JW A - Read JW.org if you want the answer.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I am not sure, but I should guess that JW on the web has learned their lession in one way or another. If they write something specific to answer question, it will remain on the web more or less forever. Many JW have made fools of themselves by outright lying about shunning or lying about the watchtower history.

So probably JWs could be told just to link to the JWorgy webpage, not to be specific or answer question.

But those discussion groups can be really bad for JWs In some time they might start to have serious doubts.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

We don't shun. Don't believe what hateful apostates say. Read jw.org

Slightly off topic story.

About 15 years ago I was out in service with a JW who was originally from Mexico. The person answering the door said he didn't want to hear us out because we didn't believe in the trinity. The JW said something along of the lines of "Who told you that? We do believe in the trinity." He then proceeded to give a legalistic, insincere speech trying to mislead the guy into believing we agreed with him.

After we were done, he said he'd learned that tactic from a CO in Mexico. You have to be creative if you're going to reach out to worldly people, you see. I was pretty livid. He was being so blatantly dishonest. I shared that story with a JW friend of mine and he became incredibly upset to the point where I though he would have gotten violent had the Mexican JW been there with us.

It's amzing to think that in 15 short years that kind of dishonesty would have become standard practice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit