Two Roads... and the one I took made all the difference

by adjusted knowledge 16 Replies latest jw friends

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Thanks for sharing your story! I commend you for using your God-given mind, and thinking for yourself. :)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A big welcome. Thanks for sharing your story. I wasn't all that concerned about the fact that we were all equal, but some were MORE equal than others. But I was a young elder in 1995 and that change in "generation" didn't sit well with me. And as far as elder's family being treated differently than others, I saw that up close and better than ever before right away when I was an elder. So I decided I would use that kind of favoritism for EVERYONE. I constantly helped members to avoid judicial committees by telling them what we would need to hear to put aside a matter.

In the long run, it's probably the hardliners (like the guy who wouldn't let you stand guard on the day of your baptism) that helped us leave the organization more than anyone else.

• krejames
    krejames

Welcome AK!

Great that you're here.

x

• Bella15
    Bella15

Welcome ...

you made me laugh with this ... " I was eventually blessed at the end of the convention to clean the restrooms."

An all too familiar story. I am glad that you were able to see beyond everything ...

I 100% relate to your comment "My faith was much stronger than any of the other children in the congregation, because I didn’t have to go to meetings or study the literature. I did those things out of my heart because I truly believed there was a caring God"

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

It's funny. Sounds like you're a year older than me. I, too, was a self-motivated Watchtower youth.

However, my reaction to the 95 change was different. I remember reading the magazine when it came in the mail and being thoroughly excited. I always felt there were gaps in knowledge that needed to be filled in and here was Jehovah supplying information at the proper time! I wish I had reacted as you did.

I graduated high school a year early. Became a regular pioneer. Shortly thereafter, the doubts became too big a burden to carry and it was a long, slow march out of the religion. I didn't become inactive until I was 26 years old.

Like you, I decided to pursue a career and have done quite well for myself in that aspect of my life.

Best of luck on your journey.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OnTheWayOut - "In the long run, it's probably the hardliners (like the guy who wouldn't let you stand guard on the day of your baptism) that helped us leave the organization more than anyone else."

Nailed it.

I truly believe that this can never be stressed enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wntX-a3jSY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit