Have Jehovah’s Witnesses Changed the Bible to Fit Their Beliefs

by KSFernando 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KSFernando
    KSFernando

No, we haven’t. On the contrary, when we have discovered that our beliefs were not completely in line with the Bible, we have changed our beliefs.

IS THIS CORRECT?

Gods name in greek scriptures? Have they change their view or change the bible.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Of course they have, but then, so has every other religion.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Yes -

Hebrews 1 is an example: The psalm paul quotes says "Your throne oh God is forever" (YHWH talking to Christ) Freddie changed this to "God is your throne to time indefinite" and then changed the psalm to say the same thing.

Grammatically the verse is talking about "your throne" not God.

There is a good pamphlet on the NWT, concentrating on Colossians showing the grammatical errors and deliberate changes to the text.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Speaking of Hebrews 1, see the second bulleted point on this post concerning Hebrews 1:1, 2 and "the last days."

Here is something similar regarding James 5:3:

(James 5:3 Old NWT) . . .YOUR gold and silver are rusted away, and their rust will be as a witness against YOU and will eat YOUR fleshy parts. Something like fire is what YOU have stored up in the last days. . .

(James 5:3 rNWT) . . .Your gold and silver have rusted away, and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh. What you have stored up will be like a fire in the last days.

Compare these NWT renderings above with the renderings of James 5:3 at BibleHub (here).

In both instances (Hebrews 1:1, 2 and James 5:3), the NWT makes a rendering that dilutes the idea of "the last days." The Society holds that the last days don't begin until 1914. The NT writers held to the idea that they were in the last days. The renderings of the NWT on these two verses reflect in a subtle way, the view of the WT in reference to their "last days" doctrine.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jehovah's Witnesses are all about change. Of course their first NWT was revealed in time to be a total adjustment to fitting in with their doctrine and their new NWT will take some time to be revealed as being even more of a revision to fit current doctrines.

The Bible is the second biggest obstacle to this mind control cult. (The first being the information age, people learning the truth about "the truth" with the click of a mouse.) They are doing all they can to minimize obstacles.

...and they have changed beliefs when time revealed the flaw in such beliefs yet the scriptures were still there, so that isn't a total lie, just a half-truth that they change beliefs to be more in line with the Bible. (Example: The Bible clearly showed that the end would come before people born by 1914 had passed away, until that wasn't the case anymore. So the scriptures are still there, the error in doctrine was plain, so they made up new stuff to be more in line with their interpretation of the Bible, even if they had to strain their interpretation of the Bible.)

It will take time to see more fully why they changed the Bible again. It could be some simple hidden phrases and omissions were necessary for yet more mind control games.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

By my observation, the NWT is - comparitively - way more WTS-centric than the majority of other minor religions' particular translations are to their own ideologies.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I only have two years of NT Greek, so I can't comment in any authoritative way. Huge sections of the NW are really good, I think. Franz relied on Vine, Grim-Thayer and Liddell and Scot. Where it fails is in the Englsh grammar. Reflexive pronouns, bad syntax otherwise, make it hard to read. I still use it. But I never used it alone. I've always compared it to other translations. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by the NW. Sometimes I shake my head.

In my opinion (just opinion, mind you) it's more faitful to the original Greek text than New Inernational is.

I have no background in Hebrew. But my comment on English grammar applies to the old testament too.

• carla
    carla

Does a bear...oh, nevermind.

• FL_Panthers
    FL_Panthers

The bible is always right.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I would start off with asking why the inserted text in brackets "[ ]" and why the kept the words but removed the brackets in the new edition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit