Have Jehovah’s Witnesses Changed the Bible to Fit Their Beliefs

by KSFernando 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I think that any religious organization that makes it own bible should be looked at with suspicion.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've been reading the Book of Jasher and the Book of Jubilees; I can see that Fred Franz relied heavily on these extra biblical works when he "translated" the Hebrew Scriptures.

Also, when he translated Numbers chapter 2, which mentions that the tribes of Israel were grouped according to their ensign or flag, he refused to use the word flag, but stated that they were grouped according to their "division."

Petty, but true.

Sylvia

• Island Man
    Island Man

In some verses, yes.

I think one big change that seems to be often overlooked and which amounts to a spurious addition to the text, is their rendering of 2 Peter 2:11:

"whereas angels, although they are greater in strength and power, do not bring against them an accusation in abusive terms, [not doing so] out of respect for Jehovah."

The entire phrase: "not doing so out of respect for Jehovah [or the Lord]" cannot be found in the Greek text! This is essentially a spurious addition to the text. This spurious scripture is cited in JW publications to tell members not to disrespect the authority of appointed men out of respect for Jehovah.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Practically all translations of the bible contain doctrinal bias, the New World Translation is no exception.

Bill.

• LanDi
    LanDi

Definately. Many ' christian ' websites have the quote from a leading greek scholar saying that the NWT is " in some parts downright dishonest " as he calls it an erronious translation ( I have a copy of the letter he wrote to the GB somewhere ! )

THe name jehovah has been inserted where the original greek says Kurios (lord) and after comparing it with three other bibles, I found it wanting in several key areas , particularly key scripture on what you must do to be saved and earn gods graces, these were quite muddied up and indeciperable I felt in the NWT ( forgive me for not having the NWT or examples to hand ).

It isn't as bad as it has been made out to be by some 'experts' to be fair IMO - but I do take particular interest in translating ' grace ' as ' underserved kindness.'

John 1:1 is a prime example of their doctrinal bias . But it's only fair to state that - none of us are experts in that particular branch of Greek.

Collosians 1 :15 -17 insertion of [ other] Jws say that was to emphasise the trinity is a lie - but the scriptures do say anyone who adds to or takes away from the Bible is to be eternally damned. THe bible doens't need any alteration to make a point stand out - that is very clear from scripture - let God be found true , even though all men are liars - remember that scripture ?

I honestly believe it is the worst translation I have read.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Noooooooooo!

• Jeannette
  • vangogh
    vangogh

YES!!! and it is very easy to show if you have the 1979 and 1985 interlinear NWT,, just like to add too, that if any other religous group had done that, the WT society would never let them forget it, or for that matter, any of the false predictions,..... oops, sorry, .......expectations, that have been made in the WT publications over the years, they would never let anyone forget those either.

• designs
    designs

How can anyone address the issue of a correct Bible versus a changed Bible when we have none of the original texts around, just highly edited copies.

• Bella15
    Bella15

lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit