Are witnesses the best behaved people in the world?

by speargrass55 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

hi everyone, i was discussing with a family member recently and was encouraged to at least consider the benefits of being raised in the truth. For example,I'm not a drunk, don't do drugs, respect others etc. The point is I've found lots of nonwitness friends who have similar behavior.

Growing up, when a worldly person does something good like help someone I'll hear things like "That's nice of him, for a nonwitness. " I even remember seeing someone on another thread using the expression dog-eat-dog to refer to the world outside. It's like if you're a nonwitness you have to be a thief, cheat, etc.

Well what has been your experience? Are witnesses better people than other?

• rebel8
    rebel8

In general, I found their behavior to be much worse than non-jws.

• cofty
    cofty

How can people who shun their families, deny life-saving medical treatment to their children and pray for the violent deaths of billions of humans be considered "well behaved"?

What sort of fucked-up ethics is that?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

One of the realizations I had after breaking with the JWs was just how many excellent people I knew, before the Watchtower Madness took hold.

In many cases, these were better people than many of the JWs I encountered. This should not have been any great surprize, given that the JW's sole measure of a person's worth is that column on the monthly Field Service Report entitled "Hours".

There are indeed good people amongst the Witnesses - but they certainly DO NOT have the monopoly on these, like they think they do.

Bill.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Every extreme can have it's good and bad points.

JW's are bad on loving, shunning, judging, etc.

True believing JW's however may score higher because of accountability, etc, on not stealing, being honest, etc.

Here is a non jw example.....

In Costa Rica it's a very liberal country, you won't get into trouble for premaritial sex, religious freedom, etc, but you better watch all your possessions, thievery is an epidemic in that country. confrontation and violent crime isn't too high but many non experienced travelers will probably get something stolen. Very poor country and thievery is high.

In Egypt - very poor country but thievery is very low. Islamic countries are very strict w/ their religion. The benefit of low thievery, but religious freedom, pre marital sex, etc, can get you in big trouble there.

• blondie
    blondie

Best behaved?

April 2014 KM

"When the doors to the facility are opened each morning, please do not ruse to the seating area of your preference as if competing with fellow attendees...

We should be kind and patient when dealing with hotel personnel and restaurant workers, even if problems arise...Parents should supervise their children at all times around the hotel, including elevators, swimming pool, lobby area, exercise room...

May 15, 2014 Study WT p. 13, pp 10, picture p. 14

"If no one ansers, we could be tempted to look through the window or alked around the property, searching for the householder...what might his neighbors think?"

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

@EndofMysteries The thieving in Costa Rica is because the people are poor and has nothing to do with their beliefs. Besides, the example is extreme. Let's say the average sweddish or Canadian nonwitness. Are they more likely to kill, steal etc? Maybe even waiting for an opportunity to do those things. That's what I was led to believe my whole life. Btw, I happen to believe there is nothing wrong with premarital sex, as long as it isconsensual and satisfies the parties involved and doesn't infringe on other people's freedoms.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

@blondie back in the day we used to save like a whole row of seats. Two people leave early and block (sit on) the row on both ends then use songbooks, bibles and everything else as props the the rest of the seats to shoe they were occupied. That was like 20+ years ago at conventions and assemblies. Everyone else was doing it. Just depends on who got there first.

• Satanus
    Satanus

People are bad because they 'do drugs' or 'get drunk' is a blanket statement. It is also showing pregudice. I know and have know many good people who occasionally get drunk and smoke mj. Some of these same people are MUCH better people than nonsmokers and nondrinkers that i have known. You need to deprogram more stuff the wt corp has loaded into you. You still sound self righteous, too.

S

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

Yep, I know. I was born in. Daily text and bible reading every morning, three meeting and field service weekly, occasional pioneering when my parents and older sibling couldn't find partners even though I wasn't baptized for 20yrs. Still haven't deprogrammed but I'm working on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit