Are witnesses the best behaved people in the world?

by speargrass55 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

I came off a bit strong, there. It takes time. One step at a time.

S

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

The JW's are no different to those who are not jw. Some take the 'rules' seriously and some don't. So long as they go to meetings, report FS (regardless if they go out or not) & no uber dub sees them breaking the 'rules' & report them to the elders, they will be ok. Those that break the rules tend to stick together or have non-jw friends they hang out with.

Just last night, I was out with some jw's & one of then made the comment that if a girl dates a non dub guy, he will always expect sex on the first date. Apparently that is the way it ALWAYS works out there. Yeah, someone who has lived all their life in a bubble as a uber dub & knows nothing about how life is in the real world knows how it works out in the 'world'. Give me a break!

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hi speargrass,

This is an interesting question. Part of what really woke me up as a kid was meeting someone who was a much better person (by JW standards) than I was and he was not a JW. I couldnt stand the idea that God would kill him just because he was a different religion. I concluded that if God would do that, I was not going to worship him, and anyway I wasnt so sure he was something I could believe in.

In my experience, JWs are twisted people. By twisted I mean their intentions are not straight. They dont want the best for you. They like it when something bad happens to you, or even to themselves, because it either means they have the truth and you dont, or they are being persecuted, or the end is near.

Does this ring true for you.

Love means wanting the best for someone.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

No. But they are the most smug.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Are JWs the best behaved people? No.

Most of Jehovah's Witnesses are under cult mind control and look forward to the mass destruction of the vast majority of the world's population so that they can live in their fancy houses and pet lions. They will cut their children or their parents out of their lives simply for choosing to be another religion. They would let their children die because some old farts in Brooklyn told them not to get a blood transfusion.

Is this good behavior?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Ha ha, I was on committee duty for five years. I once told a fellow elder, over a beer, that if you pulled one hundred average people off the street the majority would be more decent, squared away people than an equal group of jehovahs witnesses. He was flabbergasted.

This was about a year before I resigned.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

speargrass55:

Growing up, when a worldly person does something good like help someone I'll hear things like "That's nice of him, for a nonwitness. " I even remember seeing someone on another thread using the expression dog-eat-dog to refer to the world outside. It's like if you're a nonwitness you have to be a thief, cheat, etc.

That's certainly what the Watch Tower Society wants JWs to think. And to that end, they'll focus on bad things that happen and paint all 'worldly' people with that brush. By far the majority of people in the world are peaceful law abiding citizens. And to the extent that there are 'worldly' people who will do whatever they can get away with, it's exactly the same among JWs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not when they expect you to throw away things because they have value to you, and they claim to be stumbled in order to enforce it. Then, if you still do not throw it away, they cry "brazen conduct". They also hound you to go out in field circus when it is not reasonable or prudent, and then wonder why you still want to go in on time. They insist on compliance with every little step, every movement of any kind, and that everything be perfectly the drab color they want for that day. They insist that you waste funds on suit dry cleanings that ruin the environment, and they never recycle anything (I have seen glass bottles and cardboard placed directly in the rubbish, despite the law insisting that businesses must recycle such items). They waste resources, polluting all the while, to do their mission, and then gleefully bash us for buying quality things because we are ruining the earth.

Not to mention the damnation rituals they perform. You attend a boasting session, they program your soul to be poor and stagnant. They act as if poverty is a virtue and push that smut on the congregations, and then expect you to donate everything you have to the Worldwide Damnation Fund. Then they want you to cut back on value producing work to pious-sneer. They also want people to throw away their vacations by pious-sneering. All the while, they have hounders snooping to ensure no one is violating rules--that there are no sun-worship decorations up during December, no one is spending any time with someone that might be "fornication" material, and that everyone is present at the damnation sessions.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Jw's are just people. There are children who do childish things, teenagers who do foolish things, and adults who game they system. In and out of the BORG. There are rapists, child abusers, spouse abusers, drunks, the mentally ill (from depressed to psychopathic) and everything you canimagine. But at the meetings, JWs are on their sunday best behavior. Like Baptists or catholics are at church events. Cause that is what folks DO.

Stadiums are usually filled with drunken sports fans or some kinds of conventions that are not focused on putting on a self righteous showl. Of course JWs are going to be considered great guests by the arena managers. They sure beat a bunch of drunken hockey fans who just lost the championship!

JWs like to pat themselves on the back. All groups want to be special, I guess. They get to be special for having their little children sit still for 3 days, in suits and taffeta, in 95 degree weather. Wow. impressive feats of good behavior.

There are some really good and kind JWs who bring up lovely families. Nice Catholics, mormons and the methodist lesbian couple down the street from me have raised some beautiful kids together. But there are the abusers, the thieves and the jerks among each of those groups (although the particular couple I mention don't seem to have any of those particular issues).

Most of us have kids. We know that they can be very well behaved in public and holy terrors at home(or elsewhere) sometimes. No one would ever believe that sweet little girl can turn purple if she doesn't have her binky at bedtime. We are all well behaved until. . . we aren't. Most people don't drive around causing havoc 24/7. They have their moments. JWs aren't showing theirs at the conventions or meetings. And the other church people are good at church too. It is what they are doing the rest of the time that actually matters.

• steve2
    steve2

JWs are the best at Impression Management: Males dressed in business suit and tie, females in "well-arranged dresses and sensible shoes - those kinds of things. Yet even at this dress level, so many JWs inadvertently miss the mark with ill-fitting suits or dresses. The organization's literature parades pleasant-looking, happy, smiling Witnesses that it comes as a surprise when you see how roughly and frumpily dressed local Witnesses are. The Witnesses will scour the world's publications to find even one tiny bit of praise for their status as Witnesses but openly ignore any publication that criticizes them. In the tightly blinkered bubble of JWdom, they do see themselves as the best behaved. Pity their superficial religiosity permits their self-inspections to remain "only" skin-deep though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit