Which Bible Translation?

by Blackbird Fly 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Infowarrior
    Infowarrior

oh and yes I prefer the KJV and NKJV

• KateWild
    KateWild

It depends what you want the bible for. As a few have stated use as many translations as you can if you want to study a particular text. I am sure the most credible bible scholars use a variety of translations when proving a point about the bible.

I don't believe the bible is from God, so if I am picking a translations to read I would do it to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the bible is not from God. But I am only in the busines of proving things to myself not others.

Kate xx

• barry
    barry

Have any of you heard of 'king james onlyism'? Aparantly the Germans have the same problem because in the Lutherine only the bible written by Martin Luther is Gods word.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, here's what the egg-heads say: this is from 'How To read The Bible For All Its Worth' (2003) Zondervan; pages 52-53:

On Choosing a Translation

We have been trying to help you choose a translation. We shall conclude with a few summary remarks about several translations.

First, it should be noted that we have not tried to be exhaustive. There are still other translations of the whole Bible that we have not included in our discussion, not to mention over seventy-five others of the New Testament alone that have appeared in the twentieth century. Several of those latter were excellent (e.g., Weymouth, 1903; Helen Montgomery, 1924; Williams, 1937) but now tend to be quite outdated in their use of English.

Among the whole-Bible translations not discussed are some that are theologically biased, such as the Jehovah's Witnesses' New World Translation (1961). This is an extremely literal translation filled with the heretical doctrines of this cult. Others of these translations are eccentric, such as that by George Lamsa (1940), who believed that a Syriac translation from around A.D. 400 held the keys to everything. One should probably also include here The Amplified Bible, which had a run of popularity far beyond its worth. It is far better to use several translations, note where they differ, and then check out these differences in another source than to be led to believe that a word can mean one of several things in any given sentence, with the reader left to choose whatever best strikes his or her fancy.

Which translation, then, should you read? We would venture to suggest that the TNIV is as good a translation as you will get. The GNB and NAB are also especially good. One would do well to have two or all three of these. The TNIV (and NIV) is a committee translation by the best scholarship in the evangelical tradition. The NAB is a committee translation by the best scholarship in the American Catholic tradition. The GNB is an outstanding translation by a single scholar, Robert G. Bratcher, who regularly consulted with others and whose expertise in linguistics has brought the concept of dynamic equivalence to translation in a thoroughgoing way.

Along with one or more of these, you would also do well to use one or more of the following: the NASU or the NRSV. These are attempts to update the KJV. The translators used better original texts and thereby eliminated most of the non-original matter in the KJV. At the same time they tried to adhere as closely as possible to the language of the KJV and yet still modernize it some. The NRSV is by far the better translation; the NASU is much more like the KJV and therefore far more literal-to the point of being wooden.

Along with one or more of these, we recommend you also consult either the REB or NJB-or both. Both of these are committee translations. The REB is the product of the best of British scholarship and therefore includes many British idioms not always familiar to North American readers. The NJB is an English translation from the French Bible de Jerusalem. Both of these translations tend to be freer at times than the others described here as functionally equivalent. But both of them have some outstanding features and are well worth using in conjunction with the others.

In the following chapters we will follow the TNIV (or NIV) unless otherwise noted. If you were regularly to read this translation, and then consult at least one from three other categories
    (NRSV/NASU; GNB/NAB; REB/NJB), you would be giving yourself the best possible start to an intelligent reading and study of the Bible.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Why don't you study history-World War 1, and World War 2, and see how we seem to be heading for World War 3. With your practical and useful knowledge you may save yourself.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I have had benefit from comparing translations at www.biblehub.com and www.biblegateway.com .

The Message Bible, in everyday English, makes interesting reading, especially (the introduction to) Galatians.

What has been most transformative and liberating for our family has been to focus on the central message of scripture which is woven throughout and hidden in plain sight.

It is known by at least 6 names in English: the Gospel, the Evangel, the Good Message, Glad Tidings, the Sacred Secret, and the Good News.

It can be found in the Watchtower library (albeit fragmented), but not in the hearts and not on the lips of followers of the Watchtower organisation and its religious authorities.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I hear Harry Potter is more accurate a book

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What is the difference is a Bible is sold for profit or not for profit? I believe my NIV is from a non-profit. On the other hand, one does not get beautifully rendered Rembrandt plates for free. What does it matter if a lesbian was appointed as a translator? I assume she had to have better credentials than the male members to compensate for the old boy's network.

I telephoned the librarians at General Theological Seminary (Anglican, NY) and Union Theological Seminary (Protestant, nondenominational, more rigorous scholarship, NY) to get a current opinion. When I was active in a woman's Bible Study through my church, we all brought our own personal Bibles. I loved it. It is amazing to hear how slight word changes can change meaning. The differences also proved to me that no one text was sacred.

I am serious about how a translation sounds to your ears and brain. Oh, the Christian store sold special markers and pens to mark up your Bible without destroying it. The KJV with Rembrandt plates was a special purchase from Easton Press. It sold as an official family Bible. The middle has special plates to record births, deaths, and weddings. The sad part is it needs one of those lecterns for unabridged dictionaries. Sometimes I want to pull it out and check something quickly. Well, it has to be more than a few verses to hoist it off the bookshelf. It is the most beautiful book I own. I have many art history books.

I am proud that the only Witness book I possess is the orange Paradise Lost book, which I keep as a gag gift for my brother. Three or four shelves are devoted to a wide range of religious books. Most Christian books are beautiful editions.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

For a deeply interesting take on the language of the Bible by a team of people dedicated to the method of translating, try

http://thechronicleproject.org/

• jamclark
    jamclark

I enjoy ISR's The Scriptures, which uses the Hebraic approach to a more literal translation of many manuscripts. I have both the 1998 and 2009 to hold.

Occasionally I refer to Hebraic Roots Bible pdf by leaders at the Congregation of YHWH, Jerusalem

I prefer printed bibles, a second one I am considering to buy is the Messianic Aleph Tav Scriptures.

A lot of people use the power of the computer and can compare versions using e-sword.

The key is having a few translations and quiet time to read and understand. He will help during the quiet times of meditation.

Jamie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit