Which Bible Translation?

by Blackbird Fly 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

Just wondering which is your favorite translation of the Bible? We only have the NWT (pre 2013 revision) here, curently. But I wouldnt be opposed to having another translation to refer to...

• MaximusGman
    MaximusGman

Good morning Blackbird,

I do not use NWT. I found few flaws in it. However NIV, ESV are pretty accurate.

Thank you!

Maximus

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

For important things and learning what the bible really says I use http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm Using it I've seen how all english translations omitt things which don't seem to make sense or seem irrelavant. I've found several times those omissions and changes hide and change what the real message had been.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Blackbird,

Why don't you go online and compare many translations? During college, I had to purchase a New English Bible. Recently, I purchased a NIV with anthropology annotations, and a beautiful King James Versions with color plates by Rembrandt. There are so many translations to choose from. I wanted more traditional language. The Message Bible drives me out of my mind. It is painful to hear it read. Yet I know many people I respect who use the Message. I like brown or black covers. The local store has tangerine and turqoise covers.

If I were seriously researching a topic, I would definitely use several translations.

When I decided to purchase new Bibles, I appreciated that I could go to a Christian store and hold the Bibles in my hand, feel the paper used. They are not cheap. It was a small store in the middle of no place. There must have been 40 different versions. The funny thing is that over the many years I added comments to my original New English Bible. It needs to be rebound. I miss my handwritten notes.

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

Thanks for the feedback- the KJV with the color by Rembrandt sounds amazing, Band on the Run. Ill go online check the link and check out the other versions mentioned too. TY!

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It depends on what you are looking for: a translation that is on the side of formalism (that is, as technically accurate as possible) or one that is funtional (that is, one that targets the widest audience). The 1984 NWT version is more formal than the 2013 version, and in most places, it is actually quite accurate, technically. I say "most" because we know that it also is translated with a doctrinal/theological slant.

I prefer the NET bible, but am also a fan of the NIV.

If you have the time (about an hour) and desire, check out the video on this page about the NIV. It's pretty informative, although given by a *gasp* pastor:

http://www.biblica.com/en-us/the-niv-bible/

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have a bible app on my phone that free and has more than 40 different versions of the bible. I believe what is important is to have several to compare!

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

King James,NIV,online Gateway bibles and Blue letter.

I sold all JW books and donated them with notes.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, I would suggest going to a charity book shop, and buying all the Bibles you can get for two dollars; and just keep whichever version you like the best. I bought a brand new NASB Bible once; and that was $35 I will never get back. Get the biggest Bible you can find, with the best rice paper pages- you can roll them up and smoke them.

• Infowarrior
    Infowarrior

its interesting studying the diffrences between the majority and minorty texts, the Alexandrian vs Antioch texts, the Textus Receptus and all the diffrences, changed words and meanings and many removed scriptures.

Almost all modern Bible translations uses the Westcott and Hort Alexandrian minorty texts which omit many verses, and changes many words from the Textus Receptus text. The original King James Version used Textus Receptus and of "modern" versions provides what it is most likely the most accurate translation of the availble Bible manuscripts.

It is very interesting that the NIV and ESV and other modern versions share many many simmiliraties to the New World Translation. The New New World Translation includes in the appendix A3 on the versions they used which are the Westcott and Hort Alexandrian texts. Of course the new NWT is missing now even more verses then the NIV and other modern Westcott and Hort versions.

Even the New King James version, which is very close to the original King James version, and is not missing any scriptures compared to the other new versions. However the NKJV does allign with other Westcott and Hort versions in some scriptures, changing the occasional word and meaning from the original KJV.

It is interesting to compare the many many differences, changes and removals between the KJV and NIV new versions. I have not seen any compelling argumetns to support the Westcott and Hort and Alexandrian texts. It is also very interesting to note that many of the new changes in the modern Westcott and Hort versions include changing almost half of the refrences of men and male headship to female or gender nuetral words, as well as reducing the importance of worship and divinity of Jesus Christ, which is even more amplified in the NWT version. It is said the Westcott and Hort were not really dedicated Christians, and even had a lesbian on the translation commitee. One of the NKJV translators later joined with the NIV and other translators in further changes.

Another key point is the "peddling" (corrupt in KJV) of the Bible by these new translations. Almost all modern Bible translations are published by Thomas Nelson , whcih is a company owned by News Corp. (FOX), and im sure they arent giving there new Bible versions away for free. (peddling)

Also to sell new Bibles, they must make changes from the KJV text in order to copyright their material as new material, and continue to make changes in order to do so, in fact enen the WT with theire new NWT has admitted that there new Bible was also changed to update and create a new font type in which the fully owned the copyright.

Of course most new versions of Bibles, sold by Fox News Corp are sold for profit to a private corporation, not even a solely religious company. One of the only new versions sold by a group that could be still called a religious orginzation is the Watchtower, however most feel that the Watchtower is still a non-profit publishing corporation that makes a profit. However not many of these modern bible publishers are really religious groups, like Gideons or the Bible Societies. For example, here in Canada these Bible Socities have for many years printed KJV bibles as gifts for new forigen citizens, although slowly it is siad some are moving to newer versions.

Any ways a sincere Christian should really compare these bible versions and see all the diffrences and if they allign correctly and in a proper way.

a good article is this one i recommend everyone take a look

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/m-m.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit