P R O U D of H E R: Daughter's column in the New York Times

by humbled 15 Replies latest jw friends

• humbled
    humbled

She called last night to say it's online now, front page. It'll be in the print version Sunday.

Not everyone's cup of tea, at first consideration: she is slightly embarrassed to be featured in the Modern Love column in the Style section.

The Times people asked to make a short video of her article "Fight or Flight". They went to her Bronx apartment to talk to her. So that is her voice narrating the 2:14 minute video. She has mixed feelings about it all.

However.

I am thinking that, for any lurkers or newbies who wonder about life and --yes--even love outside the Borg my daughter's essay says this: following your heart does not guarantee the outcome you hope for every time. Yet both life and love in the "world" still has ways to go gently on inspite of disappointment.

--without harsh judgement we heard all the time in the Organization.

She quit going to meetings at age 16. She walked away from the Organization that told her not to go to college. She went to college on her own and kept going. Writing and editing every step of the way. It was not easy.

I stayed in 15 years more after my brave girl left. Then another daughter left and she went to college --on her own. It was not easy--likewise successful...None of my 7 children are Witnesses--- so much clearer thinking than I.

I invite you to take the time to watch and especially to read her column(Even if it is not at all about the Organization).

No one need say a word--I am just happy she had the sense to her life into her own hands. I am trying to do that now after all these years. It is not easy but---what is?

Oh. And did I say I am proud of her?

"Fight or Flight" by Sarah L. Courteau

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't see it. My subscriptions are print which includes digital. Is it an op-ed piece? Having an article published by the New York Times is quite an honor. I wish some people here would submit articles to the op-ed editor. Few are selected. It is nice to read something notable.

• cultBgone
  • humbled
    humbled

Dear Band,

Sorry--It's in the Style section--the ever popular Modern Love.There it was on the online, first page portion. If I knew how to make a link , I would.

I don't know how.

It is not a light weight piece--even considering the section it's in.

Edit:

Thank you!!!! cultBgone!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Very nice piece!

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Hugs to you!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I enjoyed it. In fact, I even liked the video that accompanied it. Congrats.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I watched the video 4 times and read her column.

Baby's got talent just like her mama!

There's so much to do, explore, and learn in this world, and sometimes pain comes along with it.

That's life, and your precious daughter seems to have learned that quite well.

You have every reason to be proud.

Blessings.

Sylvia

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Glad you pointed it out Humbled, I use the NYTimes as my homepage, but I usually don't pay that much attention to the Style Section unless something catches my eye. Interested to know how your daughter was approached to share her story, do have to know someone on the payroll or perhaps a freelance editor or something?

• humbled
    humbled

Thank you all for sharing with me.

Misery needs company--But it is joy that loves company most!

cultBgone, BandOTR, BoC and Sylvia --

ShirleyW--The Modern Love section (as my daughter told me) takes unsolicited submissions--and get plenty. Her piece was one she wrote some months after her breakup (maybe Nov.?) It was in remembering the good moments that she wrote it.

She sent it in. Not a hope for more than the catharsis.

Then she heard from them @ a month ago.

But for my two older girls--yes, often they get a foot in the door some places, some times by networking (who you know).

But sometimes, plain old persistence wins the day.

They are around people that help each other--and their little sister coming along, too.

Helping each other is really important.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit