Photography and HDR

by ILoveTTATT 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

As I have mentioned before, I love photography, and specially a technique called HDR. HDR stands for high dynamic range, and it means the ratio of the "lightness" of the lightest spot in the picture to the darkest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging

The real purpose of the imaging technique *should* be to increase the tonal range of the picture. Don't you hate it when you look at something that's very beautiful, like a landscape of a sunset, and your camera just cannot take a picture of everything? Either the person shows up in the picture, or the sun but the person is super dark?

This is because the camera has a very limited dynamic range, whereas your eyes have a very wide dynamic range. We are talking in a ratio of a thousand-fold increase!

For photographers, a "stop" is an important measure. Every "stop" is a doubling of the amount of light. Some very good cameras (that cost over 1000 dollars) with large sensors have 10 stops, which means that the maximum light/dark ratio is 2^10 = 1024. By comparison, our eyes have around 2^20 or over a million times the light from the darkest to the lightest spot. It's what allows us to see some bright stars at the same time as we see the details in the moon. Go and try photographing the moon, you either get the details, or you get the stars, but you can't have both.

So, how to go around this? There are various ways. Usually, when you have a landscape such as a prairie and the sunset or the ocean and a sunset, you have a specific "line" where there is a difference between the darkest (the ground) and the lightest (the sun) spots.

This allows you to just use a graduated neutral density filter.

http://photo.net/equipment/filters/ndgrad2.jpg

The picture using the GND filter is much better than the one without. The filter allows light to pass through in the ground area and blocks a certain amount of light in the sky area so that the ratio falls within the limits of the camera.

There are times, though, when a graduated neutral density filter is just not enough. For example, when you have a situation where there is no clear line (one example is a person standing next to a window...).

That's when you use HDR.

When you take a picture in automatic mode, the camera selects an ISO, an aperture, and a shutter speed that, combined, determine the "correct" amount of light to hit the sensor. This is what we will call a "correctly exposed picture". However, this picture is usually a compromise. The camera cannot take ONE picture that has everything, so you end up with a dark silouhette of a person and a washed-out sky.

There is an HDR setting on some cameras. On my camera, a Canon 60D, there's a setting to take three pictures, one after the other. First a "correctly exposed" picture, then a picture underexposed by 3 stops, and a picture overexposed by 3 stops.

I use a program called Photomatix, which is relatively cheap and can be found here:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

To combine the pictures into an HDR picture.

Now the picture has 16 stops (10 from the "correctly exposed" plus three on each side of the dynamic range).

However, many people hate the un-natural-looking pictures that photomatix makes.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/images/eiffel/tm.html

I personally don't like that "look"... it can be taken way too far and the results are ugly. For me, you really have mastered the art of HDR when people don't realize it is an HDR picture. It looks natural and unprocessed, as much as possible. Sometimes, I get amazing results, sometimes I don't. It depends.

I have discovered that there is way more to it, like combining in Photomatix first under "combined - average", and then editing the picture using Camera RAW (a program inside Photoshop). Then, adding various fake graduated neutral density filters (exposure and many times color balance), and sometimes using "penciled-in" light and other techniques, I get results that I like.

The drawbacks of HDR are that the subjects don't have to move at all, or you will get ghosting in the image, and it's hard to make the picture look "natural". I still have to experiment with external flashes and fill-light, to avoid HDR, because it can't be used in all occasions. Fill light makes for much more natural-looking pictures, but it's another technique I have to master.

Here are some of my favorite shots using HDR (and showing the process):

"normally exposed": You can see the clouds but some are washed out, the canoe but so dark... Very "boring" picture.

Normally exposed

Underexposed (Clouds are clearly visible, canoe barely):

Underexposed

Overexposed (clouds washed out, canoe and trees clearly visible):

overexposed

Photomatix results (better, but could improve):

Photomatix

Final Results (with some photoshop tweaking, bringing out colors and "shinyness" of the lake):

Final

I want your opinion on the final result... do you like it? What is good? Bad? Could be improved?

Thanks for reading! I am writing about something I am passionate about, if you have something else you are passionate about, please do share!

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Any thoughts?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi ILoveTTATT, I like the lake. Where is it and what is its name?

I know enough about photography to always use a flash in sunlight to remove shadows on people's faces. I also use the automatic red-eye removal feature.

I do like photos in black and white with a large f-stop and either the fore-ground or back-ground is out of focus and some filters are used.

How do you display your photos? Do you print and mount them, or display them on revolving display screen?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• prologos
    prologos

It appears to be lake Louise near Simon and Jgnat, and our eyes make these adjustements, as you scan that beautiful scenery, that is awe inspiring, but not the most fertile part of this planet. imagine soaking in the hot springs nearby.

• Imminent1975
    Imminent1975

Thanks for the education ILoveTTATT,

Photography has always been an art and with advances in this area there are now many choices to make in the final product. The last photo presented, imho, the canoe is too red, however, the clouds look great and the reflection on the water is awesome, and the rock on the mountain, ooooohhhhh, way cool.

Now I'm somewhat resistant to the newer technologies as I'm still using my Eastman Kodak Brownie to take photos. I am somewhat satisfied with the results if I could just stop taking pictures of my index finger in the upper corner of the photograph. Me and my Brownie have been to many conventions and assemblies to preserve with photography pictures of all my conditional friends who don't talk to me anymore.

I also find that I have to type out my post on my Royal typewriter and then have my wife type on the computer.

Great photos.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Good use of hdr that, not overblown , it's as the eyes would see it. I'm with you, if you can tell by looking at a thumbnail that it's hdr, then it's over processed .

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Very good, ilttatt. I'm a PSP (paint sho pro) user, myself. Italians call me a Cheap a skate. I read where PS has a built in function to merge the three photos while PSP users have to (when I tried it 3 years ago) copy the unique photos into separate layers.Off course one must use a tripod or there will be mismatch. There are online scripts for us cheapskates.

Thanks for sharing.

Len

• zebagain
    zebagain

last picture is wonderful.

• prologos
    prologos

what would you do if you also want to have the chipmunks on the rocks of Lake Louise's shore captured in One shot?

• 88JM
    88JM

I agree with a lot of what you say about HDR. Scott Kelby wrote an article a while ago with a similar outlook. Unfortunately, non-photographers like the "Harry Potter" look, but like you I prefer the more natural look where HDR is used to "enhance" an image, not make it unrealistic.

http://scottkelby.com/2010/the-case-for-hdr/

Photomatix is one of my favourite programs for it too. I thought this was a good article on a photoshop HDR technique that allows you to create more natural looking stuff:

http://abduzeedo.com/hdr-not-only-the-magic-effect

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit