JW Kids - More Frightened Than Most?

by Englishman 62 Replies latest jw friends

• HildaBingen
    HildaBingen

:What a disgusting misanthropic attitude. One of the most horrible and dangerous features of your primitive superstitions is that they take humanity's greatest virtues and turns them into vices. Our sexual appetite,a source of intense pleasure to most healthy adults, is "depravity".:

Sexual appetite is not "depravity" dear. Inordinate sexual appetite not satisfied in the proper context IS depravity, hon.

:Money, the tool with which we improve our world is "the root of all evil".:

Read your Bible again, dear. That is not what brother Paul wrote.

:The ability to reason, man's greatest triumph is anathema to them; they say: "just have faith", "don't ask questions", "it's a mystery".:

Life is a mystery. Reason has its place. It is just not the end-all and be-all that a number of moderns think it is. So many things are transrational.

:This life is considered valueless, to be mortgaged against the promise of eternal "bliss" in a dimension where nobody gets to do the things that make life worth living.:

And you were brought up in what type of Christianity, dear? It sounds more like you are talking about gnosticism.

:The true depravity is in reducing man to the level of an animal who exists only to serve a barbaric deity. Our greatest acheivement will be when we finally rid ourselves of the credulity of our ancestors and fully embrace rational thought.:

People already have embraced rational thought. It was called the enlightenment, dear. That project has already failed, funky.

And I am not a misandrist. hilda is a feminist who loves everyone.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

HildaBingen

So who was the God that said this is what we should or should not believe? Who was the God that said that this book or that book is what we should or should not believe?? You can go ahead and follow a book full of superstitions, myths and fairy tales. I myself look toward taking knowledge by reading and scientific reasoning. That is the most divine thing one can do. You talk about problems in this world well there would be a lot less if religion is finally put on the "ash heap" of history.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Sexual appetite is not "depravity" dear. Inordinate sexual appetite not satisfied in the proper context IS depravity, hon.

Agreed, but anything involving only consenting adults is fine, right?

:Money, the tool with which we improve our world is "the root of all evil".:

Read your Bible again, dear. That is not what brother Paul wrote.

I'm well aware that it is the "love of money" rather than money itself that Paul claimed was "the root of all evil" (1 Timothy 6:10). But he said we should be satisfied with "food and shelter." (v. 8) The implication certainly is to forgo improving the quality of this life, in favour of a future life. This is a common theme in Christianity. Suffering is even considered virtuous.

Life is a mystery. Reason has its place. It is just not the end-all and be-all that a number of moderns think it is. So many things are transrational.
    If something is inconsistent with reason, can it be real? And is transrational the same as irrational or does it have some other meaning?

:This life is considered valueless, to be mortgaged against the promise of eternal "bliss" in a dimension where nobody gets to do the things that make life worth living.:

And you were brought up in what type of Christianity, dear? It sounds more like you are talking about gnosticism.

It sounds like every brand of Christianity I've ever heard of. Behave in a certain way, and after you die, you'll be rewarded (or punished). What versions of Christianity don't have something of that sort?

People already have embraced rational thought. It was called the enlightenment, dear. That project has already failed, funky.
    In what way has it failed? We've increased the length and quality of our lives beyond the imaginings of previous generations, we have made incredible advancements in all fields of human endeavour, we are free to behave largely as we choose (as long as we don't violate anyone else's rights), we have unravelled the secrets of life, the universe and just about everything. How is that a failure and what the hell would you consider a success?

And I am not a misandrist. hilda is a feminist who loves everyone.
    Another Christian aberration. Don't love people for who they are or what they do, just love everybody, regardless of their worth.

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit