I want a Palm Pilot.

by Princess 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I have decided I need a Palm Pilot or something like it. My husband and I run a small plumbing company. When I leave the house, I forward the phone to my cell. I carry a small notebook with me to jot down messages and try to remember what openings we have if I didn't remember to write them down first. My notepad gets hijacked and I have to search for a page without a smiley face or a three year old's name writing practice. Anyway, I thought a palm pilot would be so handy. I can enter in the schedule and have a customer database in the address book along with other neat things.

Any advice? I have no idea what to look for.

Thanks

Rachel

• Simon
    Simon

They are handy. I have a PocketPC but if you don't need the extra features you are better with something smaller (but the games are good ... SimCity "To Go" - yeah!).

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The search feature is handy for these sorts of businesses. But I found myself going back to pen and paper. Not as cool as the palm pilot but alot less headaches in the end for me.

Path

• Beans
    Beans

Your husband has two of them! One for the convertor and one for you!

Beans

• Makena1
    Makena1

I use my Palm Pilot a lot - especially for business travel - getting phone numbers, email addresses and reminders.

I add contacts to my MS Outlook on my work computer, put in scheduling, tasks etc., and sync with the Palm Pilot before I "hit the road". Reminders pop up as scheduled. You can also purchase a handy little folding keyboard if you have to do a lot of input and don't like to use the stylus to "write".

I have an older Palm Pilot - I can retrieve email, look up stock quotes, but the wireless part of it is pretty slow and locks up at times.

In the near future, I plan to upgrade so I can leave the laptop at home, run simple power point presentations, spreadsheets, etc., and hopefully combine it with a phone.

Best wishes,
    Mak

• Solace
    Solace

My husband has one.
    He mostly uses it for his fantasy football.
    Ya' know, important stuff like that.
    Oh, he keeps a few phone numbers in it too.
    I would make sure it is compatable to your computer before you buy it.

• zanex
    zanex

I dont think I could live without my palm..it is the palm model m125 with the expanision capabilites.

-Z-

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Gotta tell you about this guy and his palm pilot.

Last year Mrs Ozzie and I were on a (very long) flight from Amsterdam to Tokyo and there was a guy opposite us (a businessman?) using his palm pilot. He seemed to spend ages hunched over this small box and "writing" on the screen. Then he got up and reached into the overhead locker to retreice his bag. he pulled out... guess what?

It was another palm pilot!! And he proceeded to do the same as before making loads of entries. He now had TWO of them in each hand!!

I was so intrigued I almost forgot to look at the TV screen!!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I have a Handspring Visor -- uses Palm software, but the hardware is more versatile and it's cheaper ( http://wwww.handspring.com). The calendar feature is very handy once you get used to it. You can also buy a folding keyboard ( http://www.targus.com) and word processing software (Wordsmith, at http://www.bluenomad.com) for the Palm.

Part of the equipment is a USB cable and "cradle" that connects your PDA to you computer, and a CD that enables them to talk to each other. So you can enter data -- appointments, memos, whatever -- either directly onto the PDA, or via computer, and have them saved in both places.

I think being able to coordinate your calendar via modem would be a great idea. My Visor could support a modem but I haven't wanted to spend the extra money or learn how to use it.

I got my Visor on eBay for $170 including postage, but I had to wait a while. eBay tends to bid consumer electronics up to retail prices, which is kinda pointless.

My Visor replaces a memo pad, calendar, addressbook, diary, prayerbook and a big stack of magazines. If I didn't have it, I'd be carrying a backpack to work.

My PDA story: I left it in my (locked) desk at work and went off to lunch, thinking: "I don't want to write anything today, I'll just read a book." So, naturally, on the way down stairs a poem occurs to me. I end up writing it on paper napkins with a glitter gel pen.

I transcribed it on the way home.

GentlyFeral

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I suggest the Palm m105. It has 8 meg of memory and is only 150 dollars

Lizard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit