Please...I need your help

by Strawberryfieldsforever 57 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik

Yeah, definitelly difficult situation. My JW aunt repudiated his son after he left and for the rest her life she never talked to him. She was beating her chest how loyal is to the organization because she was able to reject him for getting DF's. She did not even bothered to meet her grandchildren, she called Satan's pawns. She was sometimes praised in KH for her sacrifices. Sometimes people will bury their family and everyone with it as long they can stay in KH.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Not too sure how you can handle this matter! I think you need to ignore and not answer anything dealing with your feelings regarding the JW. Apostate question, ignore it. Maybe she will realize to keep her mouth shut on things she does not want to know.

Just let her know about your life and gardening or whatever but deeper feelings and things that wil displease her you can not share. Keep her in the now not in the know.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The Searcher's advice seems spot on to me...

• jhine
    jhine

marked

• milola
    milola

I agree with Searcher and phizzy. You don't need to tell her about what you may or may not be reading. I would also be sure to stress your love for her and that you will always be there for her no matter what. There was a point years ago when my parents informed me that they could no longer come to my home for dinners and have contact with me for anything other than strict family business and my response was that I understood and that I loved them and that I would just be a phone call away if they ever needed me. Within days they retracted what they had said and I am happy that we spent may good times together. My mom is gone a year now but I am still and will continue to be here for my dad.

One thing I told my parents when all this was happening was that I was much too young to make a decision to be babtized and there were just things that I couldn't understand about condemning other people who so believed so deeply in their hearts that they were worshipping in the correct manner. Just exactly how the witnesses feel. So just like they could not be convinced otherwise how could it be fair to destroy someone else who held to their convictions so strongly.

Please do not destroy this relationship (however limited) by trying to comvince her that her beliefs are wrong. I wish the best outcome for you.

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

Well, I wrote my letter. I slept on it and I used all the wonderful advice from so many of you. I feel at peace at what I wrote. Here it is.

Dear Mom,

I was afraid this was going to happen and I really don't know why you are questioning me about this. I respect your beliefs and have no intention of trying to change your views and I was hoping you would respect my ways and despite our differences, we could find common ground. I just wanted to be your daughter and you be my mother. That is all I wanted.

As for apostate literature, I only researched the archives of older WT literature and current also. Your can find scanned archives on the internet. If I am guilty of reading apostate material to research Jehovah's Witnesses, then I ask you if the societies own literature is apostate? Is the bible apostate?

I do not oppose any religious faith including yours. I simply want to be respected for not having any religious faith by choice. I love God and his son's sacrifice and I try to live my life as scripturally as I can.

I was hoping to include you in my life and tell you about my activities and our new home and new surroundings. Dad always wanted us to have a better relationship and I am trying because I really want to. I know Dad would have been proud of me for trying. If you do not respond to this e-mail then I know it is over. And...it is not what I wish to happen. Love, your daughter.

I feel good about the letter and I thank you all for your loving support in this difficult time for me. I feel like I can go on now....sad....but that is what this cult does to families. Thank you again! p.s. She has not written back yet....

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Strawberry,

Good letter. I can only wish for you that she takes this honest and heartfelt communication to heart.

Please don't be surprised if she doesn't though. The power of the Watch Tower indoctrination cannot be overstated.

Brock Talon

• jgnat
    jgnat

Such effort, true heart went in to that letter. Even if your mother never admits it, I say bravo.

• HappyOutsideTheBox
    HappyOutsideTheBox

That was a well written letter.

I hope she responds accordingly and agrees that researching the WT using their own literature does not ammount to apostacy per se.

I hope she responds with love and acceptance. The love of a parent child is unique and special.

If she doesn't, hold the love you have for her in your heart and keep the memories of past times alive.

Don't become bitter. Live your life as you have chosen and be happy with the peace that you have without the JW rules and regs to curtail your right to be you!

I wish you all the very best

HOTB

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Strawberry, If you haven't read Steven Hassen's books then I would suggest you do that so you know what to and what not to say. I agree with the others that you should keep away from discussing religion. I would continue to do what you are doing so you can have some type of relationship with her.

My husband told his mom who is in her mid 80's and has been in since she was a little girl that he no longer believed it was the "truth". He told her that if she asked him questions he was going to tell her the truth and if she talked about her religion then he had the right to talk about how he felt. She has not shunned him but their relationship has changed. She never brings up the religion so therefore he never talks about the lies of the WTS.

There are ways to get around not answering her directly and use the reverse of their "theocratic warefare". I would have no problem not answering her or changing the subject. I liked what someone else wrote that they are the apostates according to their definition because of all of their false teachings, so you aren't reading the WT and Awake so you aren't reading apostate books and magazines.

I hope it all works out for you and you can resume some kind of a relationship with her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit