Wake up and smell the cult! please I'm begging you.

by sparrowdown 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

In my own experience when all your family (i mean 100%) is part of it it is extremely hard to cut off your ties - its like losing the whole world.

Plus thinking of the emotional impact on both parties - due to my love of my family i am willing to sacrifice!

I think there lots of people in the same situation - moving on means a major loss.

• clarity
    clarity

Da.Furious...Good morning, 8th post .... one small step

at a time.

clarity

• jgnat
    jgnat

People just don't go along with our epiphanies it seems. They have to go find one of their own.

You will be a lot less frustrated when you stop focusing on all the people who are not going along with your transformation and seek out broader minded people like yourself.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

At times I yearn for those I love that are still "in" to just WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CULT.

I know. Me too. I have read from those that theorized that WT is a ten-to-twenty-year cult and then people leave for whatever reason. But that just is not so for many, my loved ones included. It would seem that they are lifers.

I could see, back in the day, thinking that Armageddon was coming soon- whether it was 1975 or within 90+ years of 1914. But when they flipped to "wicked generation" then flipped twice more to wind up at "overlapping generation" I was sure some of my loved ones would be saying "WTF?" But it hasn't happened.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I know, it is frustrating, isn't it? Whenever I get angry because people I love are in this horrid religion I remember how I was when I was in. Although I hated meetings and loathed field service, if anyone had tried to tell me TTATT, I would have immediately put up my defences and not listened to a word. I had to go through years of misery before I could even start thinking the unthinkable, that it was all a lie. I had to learn and mature and start trusting in my own wisdom before I could break free, and that took time.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but it is what it is. Just be glad you are free and be ready to help if and when others are ready to break free.

• bemused
    bemused

Sparrowdown - for a never-in like me, it was really hard to understand how my relative (a convert many years ago) could ever have been taken in by the WT gibberish. My relative now has born-in children (teenagers) and I was furious when I was told that these bright outgoing youngsters will not be going to college because of the 'worldly dangers'.

However I've come to the conclusion that, like Clarity says, many Witnesses just don't care about problems with, and changes to, doctrine. They can't countenance the idea that they (and for born-ins, their parents) have been wrong for so long and that they have potentially wasted so much time on falsehoods.

It seems to me that sites like this do a great job in encouraging those with doubts to leave and supporting those who do. I also hope that it deters some from joining the WT. However it can't do much about the great many Witnesses who are happy to carry on regardless.

Best wishes.

Bemused

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thankyou all for your input it has helped to know I am not alone with these feelings of frustration.

It is easy to start second guessing yourself when everyone around you is still drinking the koolaid.

The reasons people wake up are many and varied just like the reasons people stay are aswell.

I too at one time was utterly convinced this is "The Truth."

So I figure if I could do a mental 180 anyone can.

I now aggree with the quote "walk with those who seek truth ...RUN FROM THOSE WHO THINK THEY'VE FOUND IT."

sparrowdown

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit