A startling example of a JW ignoring evidence

by Pyramid God 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

BluesBorther,

I think JWs now allow for Micro Evolution, and all of what we species are is based on our DNA and the resulting proteins that regulate our bodies. These change via mutation (though I think the expresion of our DNA via epigenetic events like methylation could allow for non-mutations to bring about changes, but I don't know if this has much to do with evolution). Nonetheless, I think what is happening is the old line "Mutations are always harmful," maybe it is just an artifact of old beliefs that never got updated? If that position is still in effect, then yes, they are speaking out of both sides of their mouths, can't have it both ways.

• Pyramid God
    Pyramid God

I'm not nearly as well versed in this subject as some posters here, I only have a layperson's understanding. When I did bring up the bacteria evolving the ability to digest nylon, he accepted that, saying that it was adaptation. But when I said that was just a snapshot of evolution occuring in a brief amount of time compared to the millions of years it normally takes, he rejected it.

So they do seperate it into micro/macroevolution.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Evidence for evolution is pretty much useless in trying to convince a creationist.

That's because - despite what most will say - creationists' beliefs are ideologically-based, rather than evidence-based.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Pyramid God - During the debate, while rebutting a lot of creationist canards, he said that mutations are always harmful to an organism.

Hi Pyramid God, Has your father read about Darwin and his theory that was based on the process of natural selection? For the process of natural selection to occur, mutations must occur and are beneficial for the existance of a species. How are mutations bad then for the continued existance of a species?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

"Mutation" as a term covers a host of changes that can, and do, occur regularly within a genome, including things like whole sections of dna being duplicated, letters being reversed, and so on. Every human has, on average, between one and four mutations in her/his genome that are not found in either parent, ie. are "new." The vast, vast majority of mutations are silent, that is, they occur in parts of the genome that are noncoding, or that are not actively involved in producing proteins or are otherwise neutral, neither harmful nor beneficial.

All of these mutations or genetic changes ride along in each generation's genome, getting passed down and added to, and acting like raw material for natural selection to act on. When one or more mutations, acting alone or in concert, produce a change in an organisim that gives that organism an advantage in dealing with some environmental challenge--like helping it to digest a food source that would otherwise be inedible--the organism possessing that mutation has an edge that it may pass along to its offspring. They, in turn, will have an edge that will enable them to live longer, healthier and/or (and this is most important) produce more or healthier offspring. This is how a mutation or group of mutations spreads throughout a population. This is evolution.

I should add, this is not speculation. This has been documented over and over and over. What I find most interesting, however, is that mutations can render a formerly useful section of the genome useless. When this happens (and this happens very slowly, over time), that now noncoding portion of the genome still gets reproduced from generation to generation, riding long like a piece of history--a kind of fossil gene set. One fascinating example of this is the land-mammal olofactory genes possessed by whales, a vestige of their terrestial past.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

All you have to do is Google "examples of beneficial mutations" and it brings up site after site of easy to understand examples. Witnesses dont want to hear it or see it if it goes against what WT tells them. I too have gotten to the point with my relatives that they deserve to be in this miserable religion if they continue to be so closed minded. It's like when your child says he doesnt like something, but the parent says "how do you know you dont like it if you wont try it". Witnesses wont even read anything that they think wont go along with Witness dogma. I like to tell them "you can have your own opinion, but not your own facts".

• whathappened
    whathappened

Your father just desparately needs you to believe in Creation/God/Jehovah, that is all. He is ignoring all the facts and is going by what will make him "feel" better.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Ask him how the few thousand species on the ark became the few million species on earth today, if evolution is not possible.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The beliefs of the current GB have mutated from those of Freddie Franz ... what does THAT mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit