Has anyone accidentally stumbled across someone they knew on here?

by SecretHeart11 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I thought after my last post on why I left someone would know who I was by my story. So far no one has come forward. Still Totally ADD

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

No, but it would be cool if someone would recognize my avatar and turn out to be an old friend.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

My wife's uncle posted here a lot in the mid 2000's. We've gotten a lot closer since Mrs. Dazed and I left the cult. I grew up in the same hall as him and met his niece- my wife- a few years later. I would go out in service with him a lot.

I grew up in the Tri-Cities Washington, lived in Lacey/ Olympia WA and now in Colorado, north of Denver and East of Boulder. I have posted my pic several times on this site, but no one has recognized me yet. Still waiting.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Dazed....I know people in Olympia!

I'm in southern Cali, but I think I'm of the younger apostate variety that most of the ones from so cal on here. New crew.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

I've used the "search" option on the blue tool bar of this page to find people.

So my discoveries haven't really been by accident but they sure have been enlightening! By searching names of towns or last names of people, I've recognized a number of JWN posters. I've been in the 'truth' my whole life and come from a large, well known JW family (in my part of the country).

Some folks don't hide their identity or post personal stories that, if you know this person, it's obvious who they are. I've read stories from disfellowshipped and disassociated people on JWN that I knew who were very bitter (the angry 'apostate') JW haters. What's strange is that some are now reinstated and became fully involved Organization ladder climbers.

The most awkward posts came from posters who are family (or were part of my ex's family). They mention me from time to time in their posts - no names of course. I had no idea they thought these things about me....

ginger

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Problem - Did you live there from 2003-2005? Or just know people from there?

you have a PM

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I met someone from an old congregation this week.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

problemaddict, you have a PM

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Three that I can think of. Feels like I'm forgetting one other one...

First was a long-time poster [outnfree] mentioned my family's name in a congregation thread. My parents had studied with her sister. She studied with another woman in our cong.

Second was I stupidly mentioned someone's real name in a non-private bethelite thread. That person has a unique name and professional customers that googled his name saw my thread and asked him about it. He decided to check out this site, found me and I apologized profusely and had the offending post removed. (I think this actually worked out well, in the end. But I was sure embarrassed to have outed him in the first place.)

Third was someone who's house I was assigned to for bookstudy. We both posted in the same thread something unique about one of our elder's famous children. From our posts, it was clear that we were in the same hall at the same time.

Another few people knew people from my old halls but did not know me (and I did not know them).

I keep looking for more people that I might know; still hoping to find more old friends.

-Aude.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Aude, you and I have mutual friends. PM me if you want to know who!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit