Oscar Pistorious

by LouBelle 29 Replies latest jw friends

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

I was initially quite averse to the whole media circus that arose. Having been involved in Legal studies I find the court proceedings quite interesting though. His defence at this stage has probably got the upper hand over the Prosecution and this is probably due to the Prosecution not having build up a good case.

Maar die man het gister "katte geskiet" innie hof jong ! Yuslaaik it !! Eish !

Defence is doing a helluva job at casting doubt and so everything is pretty much circumstantial -

Cannot believe the hype it has generated though. Now if only all the other victims out there - and LB has enumerated how crap our justice / policing system is - could get this much attention in court things would be a lot different.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

He's just another pathetic male used to getting his way with women and is incapable of handling things civilly when this doesn't happen. Any man resorting to violence of any kind against a woman is beneath contempt.

His previous achievements mean nothing now that he has committed this terrible crime.

His display in the court room has nothing to do with his sorrow over the death, only its fall out messing with his career and lifestyle.

Here in Australia we have a had a spate of domestic violence perpetrated by men against their wives, girlfriends and ex partners. A man threw his fiancè out of a high rise window. Yesterday amother man was found guilty of stabbing his former partner to death. Today, another bloke doused his girlfriend in a flammable liquid and set her alight, in a Sydney street, while she was on her way to get an AVO against him.

It's sickening, horrific, unspeakably cruel and just utterly pathetic. And it's got to stop.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I have been following it On BBC coverage. Seems to come across as he let his temper get the best of him.

Nice to see you on here, loubelle.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I cry every time I cut an onion into pieces - but it don't mean I didn't mean to cut it.

10 out of 10 for histrionics Pistorious but I doubt you'll get an Oscar for it.

Steve2 - you are on fire tonight.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have been following it a bit, it could be he is genuinely distraught, but it doesn't make him innocent. I read recently that when you are involved in any kind of "fight or flight" situation it activates a very primitive part of your brain, this part of your brain responds seconds faster than the logical, reasonable part of the brain. It's probably the reason for a lot of road rage incidents. Later, after the crisis has passed, the person wonders what came over him, because it's not how he would usually act. Since he has a history of rage incidents, it could be that is what happened. While it might explain his actions, it doesn't excuse them, a lovely young woman is dead because of him. I don't buy the defence that he thought it was a burglar. If I woke up and heard noises in the bathroom, I would assume it was my husband, not a burglar, and I would certainly make sure it wasn't before I started shooting a gun. Then you have the neighbors testimony that she heard arguing, which doesn't support that defence. .

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Hi LouBelle -

I am not watching the trial because it is not aired here - I try not to judge guilty or innocent unless I can watch it to hear what transpires for myself. The media is too full of politics and never ending agendas that they use to manipulate the public with their own version of how someone should be judged in these major trials.

From what I remember very early on right after the shooting happened - I recall someone saying that he lived in a gated compound, his exterior doors were locked, his bedroom door was locked and he felt it necessary to keep a gun inside with him all the time. I was pretty surprised at that level of security that people felt they needed and did wonder if he lived in a high crime area or if that was normal.

I too was surprised that jury trials had been abolished.

sammieswife

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have paid attention,but not 'rapt' attention. I have heard of the crime and violence in So. Africa. I kind of think he is just another example of the general lack of civility and respect for the laws and rights of others that has been endemic in that country for WAAAY too long. Unfortunately he has a position such that he will be given more of the benefit of the doubt than other classes would be (who we would never hear of in a million years). Corruption is contagious. He may think he has a "get out of jail free card"(do you have Monopoly game in S. Africa?) He has white privilege, he has wealth and he is adored and famous.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

JWdaughter - we do have Monopoly here in SA. To rectify something - white privilege seriously does not exist in SA - being white - well it aint anything special here in SA.

Some great thoughts. I watch a little of the court drama at night - more of a summary of the days events. There is a 24 hour channal dedicated to the coverage and then to the discussion of the days events. People are picking apart everything, reading between the lines.

An aspect of the trial I am looking foward too is the forensics - It will be interesting to see what unfolds there.

• Giordano
    Giordano

There are regular updates on CNN and other news channels here in the states LouBelle so it is geting plenty of coverage. As far as I can tell he doesn't have much support at all.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Guilty .... got into an argument that got way out of control, went for his gun and shot through the door out of uncontrolled rage..

The neighbor collaborated that they heard yelling and screaming before they heard the gun shots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit