Went to SAD

by leaving_quietly 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

B.O.R.I.N.G.

Same ol' stuff. Highlights:

- Reading the Bible "must be more than an intellectual experience"

- Allow scriptures to affect us in a deeply personal way

- Do research in WT sanctioned places: WT Library CD, Online Library, Appendices in back ot RNWT

- Apply what we learn from God's Word. Ironic demo followed: Couple with marriage problems had shepherding visit. Man thanked elder later and said he and his wife studied and applied the counsel found IN THE WATCHTOWER.

- Quote: "Studying God's word draws us closer to him" Really?

Luke 10:22: All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son is willing to reveal him.

- Reason from the scriptures (Acts 17:2). "Better to use one text than to use 2 or 3 and overwhelm the householder."

- DEMO: How to properly read Rev. 21:3, 4 to stir hearts. (Emphasis on right words, etc.)

- DEMO: Wrong way to introduce the Bible Teach book: start with a scripture first. Right way: Ask a question, THEN read a scripture

- DEMO: Informal witnessing in a doctor's office (this setting is used a lot) Used Rev 21:3, 4. (So why is it that no more pain, mourning, tears and death are literal, but New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven is not?)

Prov 3:27: "Do not hold back good" applies to not holding back preaching/teaching

"Satan presents himself as the final voice of authority: 'do things my way'"

Deceptions:

1 John 5:19, 20: (vs 19) Satan has misled the whole world, but (vs 20) we have insight

Heb 3:12, 13: "Beware, brothers, for fear there should ever develop in any one of you a wicked heart lacking faith by drawing away from the living God."

Speaker said losing affection for the brothers and sisters in the congregation is drawing away from God.

- don't miss meetings

- don't associate with worldly people

- don't watch bad movies

False religious teachings (aka Apostates):

- How do you know if someone has apostate leanings? He/she says something like "Have you ever thought that maybe the end isn't going to be here any time soon?" Sows seeds of doubt. Rom 16:17 - "avoid them"

- Question asked: "Why would individuals start down that path?" Answer: James 2:26: "Faith without works is dead". Speaker said: 'They are LAZY! They don't want to do Jehovah's work, going to meetings or in the ministry.' They experience a "shipwreck of their faith"

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Have to say, I'm glad I missed that. Thanks for the report.

• LogCon
    LogCon

How do you know if someone has apostate leanings? He/she says something like "Have you ever thought that maybe the end isn't going to be here any time soon?" Sows seeds of doubt. Rom 16:17 - "avoid them"

OR

' I wonder why the Society is planning such a large project so far into the future. I hope pray that the Governing Body is not starting to think that the end isn't going to be here anytime soon. I will pray to make sure they keep their thinking straight.'

• Viviane
    Viviane

- Question asked: "Why would individuals start down that path?" Answer: James 2:26: "Faith without works is dead". Speaker said: 'They are LAZY! They don't want to do Jehovah's work, going to meetings or in the ministry.' They experience a "shipwreck of their faith"

Yes, it's because I'm lazy, it couldn't possibly be because they're full of sh*t.

• blondie
    blondie

So the WTS can use non-authorized sources like non-jw research and sanitize it by putting it in their publications?

• One Last Kiss
    One Last Kiss

So in summary you may perhaps be considered worthy if you:

• Do A
    • Do B
    • Do C

You'll definitely be ostracised if you:

• Don't do X
    • Don't do Y
    • Don't do Z

And the incredibly complicated subject of an individual’s spiritualty is summed up as:

• Anyone having a crisis of faith should be recoiled from in horror and marked forever
    • Those crushed in spirit by the org are lazy and will no doubt taint us all, mark them

Anyone remember when there was at least talk of how love can transform your life, how to be a decent human being etc? What a SAD schedule of spiritual food I missed there o.O

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

False religious teachings (aka Apostates):

- How do you know if someone has apostate leanings? He/she says something like "Have you ever thought that maybe the end isn't going to be here any time soon?" Sows seeds of doubt. Rom 16:17 - "avoid them"

That tells me that they are very much aware that LOTS of active JWs are asking those kind of questions. Esp the class that followed the admonition about 1975 and are now unprepared to retire, plus the folks that are 20 years older who are looking death face-to-face.

Thankfully they have been identified: Damn apostates!

Remember: There are NO innocent questions that question the Organization.

Doc

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"How do you know if someone has apostate leanings? He/she says something like "Have you ever thought that maybe the end isn't going to be here any time soon?" Sows seeds of doubt. Rom 16:17 - "avoid them"

Hmm ! I would rather follow the advice of the Scriptures, if I were still a dub.

Jude 22

"Also, continue showing mercy to some that have doubts; "

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Thanks for sharing this. Sorry you had to sit through that!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

- Question asked: "Why would individuals start down that path?" Answer: James 2:26: "Faith without works is dead". Speaker said: 'They are LAZY!

Interesting, the same reason is given for why people are poor, because they are lazy. Very cynical about human beings. Thanks for your report, don't know how you stand it but you must have your reasons. Hope your fade is going well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit